HybridZ

Turbocharged HP formula (Ross)

Drax240z

I came across a formula in maximum boost that will estimate the amount of power you will produce from a given engine. Of course it is not exact... I will give the formula for high value and low value, so you can get a range at least.

Low HP value = 0.052 x CID x (boost psi + 14.7)

High HP value = 0.077 x CID x (boost psi + 14.7)

The 0.052 and 0.077 constants represent bhp/(CID*psi) and have been arrived at from dyno pulls. (the highest and lowest values achieved are these numbers)

So an L28 at 10 psi boost would produce:

217.5hp - 322hp. I know its not very accurate since there are so many other factors, but it can give you something to work with.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

So glad you brought this up. I think it is an excellent guideline as long as we, street-driven cars, set our sights towards the low number. Anything above that introduces so many variables and it is mind-boggling to think that an engine with the same displacement could produce the hp number on the high side.

When I ran my L28T, I ran 17# boost eek.gif on the stock wheezer, err Turbo. According to my hp formula based on ET, MPH and weight, I had 288hp. According to Corky's formula the low hp number is 280hp. The last time I ran the GNZ, my formula said 388hp and the Corky's low number is 417hp. Again, the numbers are dead on because I had spoolup problems with the GNZ and no traction with the L28T and both affected the ET making the hp number lower. If I can match Corky's low number with the GNZ, that should get me 10.90s cool.gif

There are so many variables. Turbo size, I/C efficiency, headwork, octane, etc, and if you can get the right combination, thats when the fun begins.

I highly recommend the book, "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It is a must for anyone running or thinking turbo and great information to better understand and clear some myths for the non-believers biggrin.gif

Scottie

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Thanks guys:-) I have some printing and a return phone call to make. I'm sure I"m not the only one who finds it sooooo RIDICULOUS how hard it can be to get others to buy a simple book before/when they plan on spending $$$$'s. Guess that's what makes a lot of us different, word of mouth isn't always the truth till you get it from a good one eh;^)

Hehe, no doubt Ross! I keep pushing Maximum Boost to everyone, but I don't think anyway that I've mentioned it to has actually bought it. :P Instead they ask me to look up things, or ask me to photocopy things out of it. Heh.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Cool, so a 4.3 could have between 408 and 605 hp. Thats a pretty big spread! I agree with the low end for street figuring. Especially with my engine. Boost + well prepared high flowing heads/ cam profile/ exhaust= big increase. Tells you how important matching your components can be. I need to do some reading!

JS