HybridZ

73 240Z VQ37VHR Swap Build Log

I sent in just my engine harness, ecu , vvel module. They supplied me with the other necessary parts, like: sub harness for vvel, gas pedal, obd2 port. My wiring setup is a universal harness. I can drop the vq37 into whatever i please lol. As for fuel setup, i plan on running an external 255 walbro pump for now or cutting the tank to make an drop in pump. Later on in the build if i have the funds i would want zfevers aluminum tank with dual pumps.

2 hours ago, Gumiho3 said:

I sent in just my engine harness, ecu , vvel module. They supplied me with the other necessary parts, like: sub harness for vvel, gas pedal, obd2 port. My wiring setup is a universal harness. I can drop the vq37 into whatever i please lol. As for fuel setup, i plan on running an external 255 walbro pump for now or cutting the tank to make an drop in pump. Later on in the build if i have the funds i would want zfevers aluminum tank with dual pumps.

This is really helpful, I pretty much have everything from the donor car so I will probably end up sending everything. Have you tested the harness yet or still not there yet ? Is the external 255 pump rated for the vq37 ? Thanks for the info really helped.

8 hours ago, Sadeem28 said:

This is really helpful, I pretty much have everything from the donor car so I will probably end up sending everything. Have you tested the harness yet or still not there yet ? Is the external 255 pump rated for the vq37 ? Thanks for the info really helped.

Haven't tested harness yet, hopefully start to get down by end of this or next month. All i know about the vq37 is that it needs 51psi of fuel at the rail constantly, i could be wrong tho lol. There are 3 things you need to figure out when buying a fuel pump, 1) how much HP your engine will be, 2) what the fuel pressure the engine needs and, 3) voltage for the pump.

The 255 is a bit overkill for the stock vq, but it gives room for mods later on . Should be able to handle at least 550 hp.

9 hours ago, Gumiho3 said:

Haven't tested harness yet, hopefully start to get down by end of this or next month. All i know about the vq37 is that it needs 51psi of fuel at the rail constantly, i could be wrong tho lol. There are 3 things you need to figure out when buying a fuel pump, 1) how much HP your engine will be, 2) what the fuel pressure the engine needs and, 3) voltage for the pump.

The 255 is a bit overkill for the stock vq, but it gives room for mods later on . Should be able to handle at least 550 hp.

good info, I would love to do an internal pump but dont want to cut the tank or get a new tank at this point so the external 255 seems like a good option.

Just now, Gumiho3 said:

Im bad at taking pics lol.  The second picture is the more important part of the harness. It is the modified sub harness. 

20210615_192615.jpg

20210615_192317.jpg

20210615_192534.jpg

3rd pic is the sub harness with all the labels. Im slightly stuck on them because im not sure if they all need to be fused or have a separate relay. Such as the fuel pump ground wire. If you guys have any thoughts let me know.

12 hours ago, Gumiho3 said:

Im bad at taking pics lol.  The second picture is the more important part of the harness. It is the modified sub harness. 

12 hours ago, Gumiho3 said:

3rd pic is the sub harness with all the labels. Im slightly stuck on them because im not sure if they all need to be fused or have a separate relay. Such as the fuel pump ground wire. If you guys have any thoughts let me know.

you should see my insta page, just a bunch of horrible pics. lol. I am not good either.

Cant really see the labels in the 3rd pic but are all ground wire ? if so just bunch them up but dont quote me on that I am fairly new to wiring.

Where in CA are you ?

13 hours ago, Sadeem28 said:

you should see my insta page, just a bunch of horrible pics. lol. I am not good either.

Cant really see the labels in the 3rd pic but are all ground wire ? if so just bunch them up but dont quote me on that I am fairly new to wiring.

Where in CA are you ?

Some are 12v constant and switched positive.  I just dont want to mess up any wires or worse the engine. Im in Sacramento area. You guys nearby?

8 hours ago, Gumiho3 said:

Some are 12v constant and switched positive.  I just dont want to mess up any wires or worse the engine. Im in Sacramento area. You guys nearby?

yeh man when in doubt check with Hexa. I am in east bay, livermore. So not exactly nearby about 2-3 hr drive.

@Gumiho3

Thanks for the pictures, those are the first I’ve seen of the Hexa harness around the forums and it looks pretty professionally done. Definitely find out what those wires do before hooking it all up though. Probably won’t harm anything if a few wires get crossed or ungrounded, probably just cause so CANBUS universal codes that systems aren’t talking to each other right. But better safe than sorry.

@Sadeem28

Yes the fuel rail on the VQ37 needs 51psi constant, and I believe it is regulated at the intake pump. A 255lph pump should be just right and give you head room for some mods but since you’re adapting it to the Z fuel tank you will need a pressure regulator and return line. For reference I replaced the pump on my RX8 which requires 60psi at the rail and those things guzzle down fuel and it is run on a 165lph from the factory which keeps up with the demand.

@Gumiho3

Yeah let us know what Matt says about some of wires, it would be great for reference.

My guess is that it is a battery current sensor plug, interestingly I recently replaced a battery on a friends Nissan Rogue and it has a battery current sensor. I’m not sure how important it is for function when the harness and ECU are stripped of dependencies, but my guess is it may have been an option on the G37’s if your harness came from one and probably protects the intelligent power distribution module in case of an over current situation. I can look at my buddies G37 this weekend probably and see if it has one.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:26 AM, Sanchez said:

@Gumiho3

Yeah let us know what Matt says about some of wires, it would be great for reference.

My guess is that it is a battery current sensor plug, interestingly I recently replaced a battery on a friends Nissan Rogue and it has a battery current sensor. I’m not sure how important it is for function when the harness and ECU are stripped of dependencies, but my guess is it may have been an option on the G37’s if your harness came from one and probably protects the intelligent power distribution module in case of an over current situation. I can look at my buddies G37 this weekend probably and see if it has one.

Yeah that's what i thought it was for, but my harness was off an 2016 Z. The dealer didn't even know what i was talking about when i asked about it lol. I'll try to see if i can get confirmation with matt next week. Worst case scenario is that i have hexagarage wire the whole car up for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress made on the firewall recently. Got some large pieces tacked in but I don’t have the right clamps to get some of the corner really pushed into place so may wait a bit on those.

Just had pay day and going to order the wiring harness and ECU tune from Hexa. Looking forward to firing this engine up in a few weeks given it’s been sitting for close to a year.

• 1 month later...

Maiking some good progress, almost finished up with the final touches on the passenger floor pan and firewall/battery tray which is only about 20% of the body work the car needs but the rest should be faster and simpler stuff to recreate and weld around.

@Gumiho3

Did you ever get your VQ fired up with Hexa's wiring harness and ECU flash?

@Sanchez  not yet, life getting in the way lol. I contacted matt and he recommended that i setup an appointment, but that's gonna mean more $$ to get the car there and for the help.

On a side note, are you going to stiffen the chassis with stitch welds all around, I'm not sure if the work is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my harness back on the motor and it fits back as it should. Then got a fuel pressure regulator to get ot setup for a test run in the future.

As for the hexagarage harness, I've been doing a lot of research on forum's and FSM on the vq37 engine. There are 5 wires on the sub harness that need hookup and 3 more that are just ground.

The 5 wires are labled:

VVEL 12v: which I assume is just straight to a 12v source sine it already has relay to it.

Fuel relay: is this the trigger wire or a 12v activation? Do i have to wire in a relay to it?

Ignition: I assume that this goes to the key switch.

Battery: I assume this is straight to battery 12v with fuse.

Starter: I assume this is the wire for the solenoid, so i have to wire a relay to it or it is one of the 3 on the sub harness. 

This probably doesn't help much, but it gives you a heads up on what the harness will be like.20210823_200709.jpg.26cc7259bfde926c4be88501633c5172.jpg

20210824_174631.jpg

20210824_174636.jpg

• 2 weeks later...