HybridZ

Superchargers

Z-Dreamer

They are a pretty neat unit. Quiet! I read somewhere they were limited in the big boost #s. They had two models a low boost street version and a better higher boost model Check on the upper end one. They also used to have only 2 pulleys to choose from, but maybe they've added more options to the list. Tell us what you find. I saw one on a BMW once. It made some good hp.

*Upon further research, I read a few letters from upset powerdyne users. (All products will have thier bad apples) Complaints ranged from broken internal belts, blown units, to low boost #s. (I still side with ATI and their gear drive, noisy but strong) For a v6 to produce good hp, you're going to need boost. I would research powerdyne carefully. Also their website: powerdyne.com has been inactive??

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited November 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited November 13, 2000).]

Thanks for the quick response John, Powerdyne makes three psi levels, 4.5, 6 and 9psi. I did find a company called Kruger Performance Products that makes 11 psi and 13 psi drive pulleys for the Powerdyne, as well as, By-Pass valve kits and Air to Air Intercoolers. As for customer complaints, I realize all product manufactures have their share of complaints and I'm looking for feedback from people who have experience with them. I like the ATI Prochargers strenghths, but like you said, It's noisy! I like the idea of a " quiet blower" and no oil lines to boot! Both Powerdyne and Kruger products can be found at www.powerdyne.com/ and www.namotorsport.com/

Also, I'm looking at a compression ratio of between 8 or 9 to 1 with aluminum heads.

Thanks again, Mark

[This message has been edited by Z-Dreamer (edited November 13, 2000).]

Mark, I kept getting a unknown site message whenever I tried powerdyne.com. Maybe it was down for a bit. ATI has a new self contained p1sc, gear driven. 2 sizes 9" and 10,5", still noisy!. The abuse the drive units have to endure make me sceptical of a belt system, especially if you're running harder than the manufacture's own offerings. What kind of warranty do they come with? I think you're in the ballpark for 8-12 psi in the 8-9:1 comp range.

JS

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty negative on the Powerdyne stuff. I'll admit that all of my bias comes from the Mustang 5.0 world. In short, powerdynes don't work well - even in the upgraded BD11 form. There are just too many stories of grenaded impellers or the internal belt shredding and a certain lack of service on Powerdyne's part to honor their warranty.

All that said I do have one friend that ran a Powerdyne for at least 30k miles, made 392rwhp and his lasted just fine. He religiously shifted at 5400rpm and never overspun the blower so there are examples that these blowers do work. Still, for every success story I can probably recall 3 or 4 horror stories including one guy that had just had his blower rebuilt (for $500) a week before an open track and lunched the blower the first day of the event. It was pretty disheartening...

Anyway, it's just all my opinion so take it FWIW.

Scott

I'm with Scott - RUN AWAY! Yeah, I know them from th eMustang world too but th elessons learned there apply here. Their top unit makes what, 6lbs of boost? What's that measured on - a 302? If so consider that a 350 or bigger motor will need MORE CFM to create the same backpressureboost. In other words on a 350+ motor you'll get LESS than 6lbs of boost! Hardly worth the effort IMO and they DO shred belts, even the newer ones without the silly idler inside.

Don't liek the noise? Look to Paxton and ATI for "quieter" blowers. Vortech may have one too - I'm not positive. They are NOT quite as strong as straight cut geared blowers but the ATI is good for over 500HP (or is it 800?) so the "strength" is strictly a relative term smile.gif

I HAVE heard the more quiet ATI blowers and while they are a tad quieter don't expect to sneak up on anyone with them (lol). My P1200 is so loud that it even overwhelms the huge Paxton fuel pump so I guess thay've made some progress at least.

Skip the Powerdyne, you won't regret it I promise.

Wow eek.gif Thanks for the quick response guys. After further research, I've found that most F-Body owners that run blowers use Vortech or ATI. I really don't want to take the chance of purchasing crap! So I'll probably go with a ATI unit. BLKMGK, wasn't it you who said you had a friend who is an ATI dealer? John Scott, do you know of anyone who makes a forged crankshaft for the even-fire 4.3? Thanks again for all the great advise.

Mark

------------------

" Now where did I set my beer? "

Yup, Excessive Motorsport East. 703-331-1422 and ask for Chris or Tory. Tell them Jim sent you. They can have it drop shipped to your home I believe.

BTW - I recently saw one of th elatest kits for the Camaros. It had some sort of "hi-flow" intercoolers on it. Yep, a PAIR of intercoolers about the size of shoe boxes on either side of the bumper - yuck!

IMO for a Z I'd buy one of the kits that doesn't include an intercooler and then fab something up front liek the turbo guys do. Either that or get the measurements for the ATI intercooler and see if it will fit up front - they've got bunches of them but you'd probably have to speak to ATI directly about sizes. The intercooler on my Mustang would PROBABLY work on a Z but I cannot swear to that. I hope to maybe do a blower one day on the Z but I think the swap comes first smile.gif

ZD, I don't think there is a forged even fire crank for the 4.3. I don't even think the raw cast odd fire is still avail. from chevy. I heard someone is making a odd fire forged, but need to dig and find who. I'd bet the stock one, if prepared well and a splayed 4 bolt would hold up nicely.

JS