HybridZ

Wind screen blower

Hi all,

Somehow i cant get the blower air to come from the wind screen vents on my 280Z (1976 model).

I do not have the vacuum canister installed (yet), and have read that possibly there is a port which is operated by vacuum from this tank. Not sure it this could be the issue, but before i start ripping things apart, figure post here. 

Any guidance is welcome.

Regards,

Joost

Joost, it's been a long time since I've had the stock ventilation system; but IIRC, all air flow is controlled mechanically (i.e. via cables between the dashboard controls and the blower assembly).  Those old cable systems can get gummed up and not work smoothly, the cables can break over time, or the flapper valves internal to the blower can stick or get jammed in one position.  Any of those issues could be why you're not getting hot air to your windscreen defroster vents.  It could also be as simple as the heat ducting hoses falling off the heater blower or the plastic defroster ducts up at the base of the windshield.  Any of these problems should be easily fixable by disassembling/cleaning/repairing/adjusting/etc as necessary without any great expense.

Do you have the FSM for your car?  It gives a pretty good description of the cabin heating/ventilation system.   http://www.xenonzcar.com/s30.html

Cheers.

Edited by jhm

hi jhm,

Thank you for the reply. In the mean time i did dig into FSM  and actually came to the conclusion that vacuum is needed to operate the gate to the defrost nozzles for the windscreen.

So tomorrow, I will reinstall the vacuum tank, the solenoid (magnetic) valves, and see if it work.

1077957328_Screenshotfrom2020-05-3023-53-20.png.c860f81876a70a7dc8a8caea1891fcb9.png

Keep you updated.

Regards,

Joost

There's a vacuum hose that passes through the firewall near the glovebox and normally goes to the vacuum tank, then goes to the intake manifold. There should be a check valve somewhere in there, but mine was missing so I don't know where it goes.

What I did as a temporary/permanent fix was to buy a vacuum check valve off the shelf at my local parts store and run a line from the intake, through the check valve, to the line inside the car. Vents seem to work just fine, though they may drift out of place under prolonged periods of WOT (but they'll go back as soon as you lift)

Hey ZHoob2004,

Well I did make good ground on this subject. Indeed, i needed to run a new vacuum hose though the fire wall.There is this grommet with a neck. Below the dashboard on the passengers side i found a vacuum line to which i could connect. All other lines under the dash seem to be connected to the different vacuum valves.

I am missing some additional vacuum line, which I will have delivered this week but I have been studying the FSM/ AC system. The check valve, is actually a very small plastic fitting, which is located in one of the 2 holes on the side of the magnetic valve bracket. Seems you do not have this Magnetic valves installed?

Once i get the vacuum lines in, i will hook up the rest of the system.

Regards,

Joost

Yeh,

Got it all to work. Hooked up the vacuum lines, the magnetic valves, check valve and the vacuum tank, and the blower system works like a chime. All modes of the blower work correctly and the valves open and close the different gates.

take care!

Joost