HybridZ

Oil Pump NOT sucking oil

Hi all,

I recently built my P79 head (F54 block) and have reassembled the engine and I’m having a problem with the oiling system.

The conditions are as follows:

-Oil pump confirmed will pull oil in and push oil out (primed and greased)

-Car will start and run but internally oiled cam will not spurt out oil

-All 5qts of oil has sunk down into the pan. Tested oil passage with compressed air going out from the oil pump and into the oil pump. Output side is working as it should. Input side is not blowing thru.

I’m using a rod attached to a 12V drill to turn the oil pump thru the distributor hole in an attempt to pull oil out of the pan but so far no dice.

My theory is that the front cover of the engine is not sealed at the oil inlet from the pan and won’t create a vacuum for the oil pump. I’m curious if any of you have experienced this, I haven’t been able to find answers to my issue.

Thank you

45 minutes ago, baby_Carlton said:

-Oil pump confirmed will pull oil in and push oil out (primed and greased)

-Car will start and run but internally oiled cam will not spurt out oil

I’m using a rod attached to a 12V drill to turn the oil pump thru the distributor hole in an attempt to pull oil out of the pan but so far no dice.

You might put a mechanical gauge on the pressure sender port to be sure about what you think is happening.  Or just remove the pressure sensor from the block and crank the engine over.  If you're right, no oil will come out.  If you're wrong, there will be a mess. 

Just a simple test to be sure you're on the right track.

Also, are you sure that your drill motor is turning the correct way?  Counterclockwise would be reverse on a drill motor.

14 minutes ago, NewZed said:

You might put a mechanical gauge on the pressure sender port to be sure about what you think is happening.  Or just remove the pressure sensor from the block and crank the engine over.  If you're right, no oil will come out.  If you're wrong, there will be a mess. 

Just a simple test to be sure you're on the right track.

Also, are you sure that your drill motor is turning the correct way?  Counterclockwise would be reverse on a drill motor.

Gauge wouldn’t be a bad idea, I’ve removed the oil filter and turned the pump (CCW), no oil shoots out despite having 5 qts. 

Does the oil pump AND distributor seal some oil galley I’m not seeing? I think the only seals I need to be mindful of are the front cover to engine block/oil pan.

How about the pickup tube?  Could be clogged or maybe it even fell off?  If you took the filter off and nothing came out, you're pretty much at the first place to look after the pump.

I don't think that system is complicated.  Don't know.  

Good luck.

image.png.8a29618b4c37be67da1133ad970778a9.png

3 minutes ago, NewZed said:

How about the pickup tube?  Could be clogged or maybe it even fell off?  If you took the filter off and nothing came out, you're pretty much at the first place to look after the pump.

I don't think that system is complicated.  Don't know.  

Good luck.

image.png.8a29618b4c37be67da1133ad970778a9.png

Haven’t messed with anything in the oil pan and it was working before the rebuild so not sure what could be blocking the tube. I think I’ll have to eventually take the oil pan off and inspect. Thanks for the help! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update for anyone having this issue in the future.

Culprit was the front cover seal being all wonky.  When I installed the front cover I didn't take the time I should've and I wasn't making sure the gasket was seating while the front cover was being tapped on.  The front cover bolts dug into and thru the gasket.  This meant the suction side of oil pump was not sealed against the front cover and a vacuum could not be made.  Cam oils, car runs, all is well.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help!