HybridZ

New Techno Toy Tuning Micro Rear Brake kit

After the hassle I had with the kit from Zcar depot's Ebrake function I wouldn't buy it without detailed instructions and pictures of it installed. So much of this stuff is not much more than a collection of parts that require a lot more work on the users end than they let on to.  To sell a brake kit without detailed downloadable instructions is almost criminal in my mind. 

Haven't purchased it, but I'm slightly jaded as Derek is but only from reading others' experiences with kits. Literally every time I read about brake upgrades and swaps it comes with a miriad of comments from people trying to balance or something along the lines of "well to balance it, you'll need this booster with unobtainable master, but if you get this other booster from this other vehicle and use this adapter from this company to pair this other master cylinder, you can run it, but mine still seems to bite to much from the rear brake so I bought this other thing, or this other guy said his worked well by purchasing this brand of pads for the front and this other type for the rear..."

Not worth the headache. When that time comes I'll probably just use the Z Car Garage kit that's designed to be balanced to the stock components from the start. I love DIY, but there are some areas where I have to concede to the expertise of others.

I feel like these wild mish-mash collections of parts are from people looking to convenience over a proper engineered solution. Brakes need to be viewed as a cohesive F-R system, I'm surprised that more companies haven't taken the example from Z car garage (and really everyone else) and offers a full brake system. It's not witchcraft, unless you're trying to use maxima rear brackets and stuff you can find at pick n pull ;) 

Lots of talk here lately about a need for documentation. Is this a new concern? I feel like nobody has offered it really in the past 10 years, so what's spurring this now?

+1 on the Z Car Garage kit, by all accounts I've read, they did the work so that you don't have to. It's extremely expensive, but if you value the ability to literally just bolt something onto your stock car and have it work with no hassle, then maybe it's worth the money. You think about the amount of time you might spend online researching the issues another kit might have, and then the money spent to resolve them, and suddenly the price tag doesn't seem so bad. I certainly have my eye on the kit. I believe they come with extremely thorough instructions as well. 

6 hours ago, Ben280 said:

Lots of talk here lately about a need for documentation. Is this a new concern?

I think when it comes to safety and when using a mis mash of parts documentation is important.  If they are two ways for an item to be mounted but only one works then that requires documentation.