HybridZ

Johns Cars AC set up

Are you talking about something sold by John's or outlined in his book?

I'm about ready to install A/C and have been looking at Vintage Air Gen. II mini units (the one with heat and defrost), but so far I haven't heard back from the nearby supplier on a few questions.

So, I too would like to see photos of solutions and feedback on what works best.

On 6/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, wingwalker said:

Are you talking about something sold by John's or outlined in his book?

I'm about ready to install A/C and have been looking at Vintage Air Gen. II mini units (the one with heat and defrost), but so far I haven't heard back from the nearby supplier on a few questions.

So, I too would like to see photos of solutions and feedback on what works best.

Yes i bought the kit but no pictures in the book.

On 6/9/2020 at 12:25 PM, Whitley_280z_2+2 said:

This is all I have. Hope it helps. The kit is pretty easy to install and it works well with the Vintage Air Gen II compact system. Other people on here probably have better pics but thought I would try to help out.BF1559DE-8694-4D7D-9037-D29F7547F218.png.343a338a3ad94decc577aa460d43ea7d.png

That helps a lot! I was going to try and stick with the factory ac system. Any reason you went with vintage air instead?

We pretty much had to go vintage air because the original system was in very poor shape. The car had been sitting for 15-25 years I’m guessing, so it would have been a lot more work to bring the original system back from the dead. Also vintage air is a lot more DIY friendly if you aren’t familiar with A/C concepts. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/15/2020 at 2:34 PM, alainburon said:

Here are some old  pictures I have, I don't have the condenser but I can get some when I go to the body shop next week. At least you can see the lines coming from the compressor going through the firewall into the evaporator. 

Thanks for the pics! with the vintage air condenser were you able to use the jons cars ac lines or did you need custom ones?

Edited by yiannit280z

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 11:26 PM, yiannit280z said:

Thanks for the pics! with the vintage air condenser were you able to use the johns cars ac lines or did you need custom ones?

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this. The John's car lines are designed for a stock system. With the vintage air condenser you need to make custom lines. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 10:22 AM, 280Z-LS3 said:

What is the spacing on the John's Cars A/C bracket?  Can it be ordered in one of three LS spacings, Corvette, F-Body or Truck?

The spacing between the supports is the same for all three LS, because that spacing is determined by John's a/c compressor.  That being said, I've installed Johns a/c kit on my truck engine.  I cut a .75 spacer out of AL and used it to space the entire assembly forward to match my truck alternator and crank pulley.  Looks good.

zgeezer

• 1 month later...

On 6/11/2020 at 10:22 AM, 280Z-LS3 said:

What is the spacing on the John's Cars A/C bracket?  Can it be ordered in one of three LS spacings, Corvette, F-Body or Truck?

The spacing is Camaro for the JCI kit. I just had to convert my LS3 crate motor from Corvette to Camaro spacing to get the AC and the Dirty Dingo low mount alternator kit to work right. The thing that surprised me the most is that the lower gooseneck/T-stat housing is different on the LS1 and LS3 water pump.

I have the original JCI air conditioning set-up as it was developed on my car.  It uses all the original stock Datsun equipment except the compressor which JCI provided along with the mount.  My engine is '98 LS1.  The AC compressor is mounted high on the driver's side with the alternator below it.  If you want I can take photos of the install If you want although some areas are difficult5A3CD486-44A6-424D-88D9-FED8B7FFD70F_1_105_c.jpeg.e0cb6bb88e9d9a849d28527564b2e668.jpeg to see fully installed.

Edited by Phantom