HybridZ

2JZGTE and V160 fit?

BLKMGK

Obviously the 2JZ fits but will the V160 fit? Shifter position? Mods required? Love that transmission!

I've fit a T56 before so those mods have been done in the tunnel. Trying to decide between an LS motor and a 2JZ :) Love the 2JZ and would like to run a straight six but man the LS would be so easy :(  Plus I really prefer forced induction lol

You can get a bell housing to run the T56 behind the 2jz would save you all kinds of effort.

I think fitment kind of depends on the car. The early 240z's have the widest factory tunnel, I was able to fit my CD009 in there and only had to remove the transmission mounts, and mine is tucked way up there. Later 240z's and on will require the removal of the trans brace which sounds like you may have already done. 

23511151_10159679947260644_7355566473415

^That is an image from serial 9 (R154, V160 with their shifter, CD009 with their shifter, stock CD009), but according to that it looks like it would end up in the neighborhood of the stock area. My setup was was between the stock one and their shifter and it came up an inch or so into the choke cable recess area a few inches behind the stock shifter location.

To play devil's advocate, LS motors can also be force fed..., but you won't have the rev limiter happiness and sound like a boosted 2j will have.

I'm surprised the R154 and V160 aren't closer but maybe that's just a shifter issue. The T56 I've experienced have always felt notchy, the V160 was smooth as butter and man the gearing is perfect for that motor! Trans mounts and whatnot have already been removed long ago, the trans tunnel is widened slightly for the previous T56 too. My car is a '72 so it's a pretty early example too. I have heard of modifying the V160 shifter to being it towards the motor but I'd sure hate to screw up the shift action. The LS would be an easier swap I think despite having the 2JZ drivetrain on hand. I know I can force induct an LS but I swear if I did that I'd be afraid of twisting it like a pretzel despite the cage in it lol. Perhaps a CTSV blower to really challenge it with torque! I appreciate the response, I guess I'm still unsure but I've got a little time. Sourcing a Super 8.8 mount and axles currently and I've got some time. Rear end gearing for the 2JZ\V160 would be quite different than an LS though so when it comes time to buy an IRS drop out I'll need to have decided. Looking hard at the Apex stuff up front and they offer both 2JZ and LS but it's welded mounts so not something I can just swap out. Ugh!Appreciate the food for thought and experience with the CD009! Hmm, what about the trans from the 350Z. I'm told that's cheaper and nearly as strong but I'm a little unsure on gearing. I know Sloppy used one in his LS\350Z swap and it seems to be holding, Taylor Ray used one in his Miata and was able to source a clutch with the right face and correct splines without fuss too. Perhaps that would solve the notchiness and cost of a T56? I know pretty much nothing about that transmission other than it's been used in place of T56 so it must roughly be close to the same length. Starting to lean LS <sigh>

Looks like it's been done at least once - ugh now a real dilemma lol!

http://davidsclassiccars.com/datsun/117449-1972-datsun-240z-with-usa-supra-twin-turbo-and-v160-6-speed-465-hp-500hp.html

If you skip through the pics you can find an interior shot and the shifter looks well placed but possibly a bit far back - I'll have to look closely at my car. Funny thing is he used the exact same rear-end setup I had been pondering with an Armada\ZX TT hybrid diff but that I'd given up on. The new 8.8 setups appeal to me MUCH more for gear selection and price but this is pretty interesting. Surprised he left the stock turbos on it ugh!

I hear ya, if money isn't a problem then I would say the V160 would be a real nice transmission.

The CD009 from the later 350z's are pretty stout. Shift feel is decent, they also make self centering shifters for them which I am an all out sucker for, would probably make it notchy, but shifting mid corner I love being 100% sure I am going into 3rd or 4th. Stock they are infinitely better than something like the R154. Triple synchro and built strong enough to take more power than any sane person would throw at it. I got mine for $700, my friend who bought his took his to a transmission place to have the bell housing machined and they said the inside looked like it was new with 100k+ miles on it.

Keep in mind both from the person you linked and myself, looks like we moved our motor back quite a bit. If you play with the location of the motor and shifter kits I'm sure you could end up in the right area. I had the R154 on the very left of the picture and that was about 2 inches too far forward so looks like with the serial 9 kit that would put the V160 in the right area and my engine was similarly with the first and second runner between the shock towers.

I will say I had a few people with LS and supercharged V8's give my car a spin, and they were surprised how quick it was. They were coming from mustangs and GTO's but you have to remember your shifting half the weight. A 2JZ with 20lbs of boost under 4k RPM is a real hoot. Upgrading to bigger turbo's would be a commitment to running more than 400+hp and I can say from personal experience the number of roads where you can go all out definitely start to shrink. With my NA L28 with 4.11 I was driving around all out under the speed limit. I could run the engine out and shift 4 times before getting to free way speeds.

My 2JZ had a 76mm turbo on it, stock longblock, and made a bit over 700WHP in my Supra. Off the line it lagged but I could tune some of that out now and I have a fully ported and setup head and HKS cam set that never made it onto the car. On E85 this thing would be nasty and probably pretty scary too heh. I'd step the turbo down for sure and get more area under the curve, I don't need 200HP in 500RPM coming on like a freight train! I have a weld-in engine mount that would allow me to move the motor around but had wanted to go with an Apex subframe that comes with mounts which would probably fix my position. Not gotten anywhere yet on the rear-end but it'll get there and then I'll be at the crossroads. Got to figure out a fuel cell to swap in place of the crap one I have now as well so this isn't happening fast regardless. Really appreciate the input!

Like a GT3576? Turbo nomenclature is so odd. Technically my turbo was also a 76mm turbo, but with a massive 57mm inducer I would say it was anything, but laggy. Almost like a supercharger with how quickly it built boost, but pulled all the way to a panic inducing redline. Also loosing over 1000lbs from the Mk4 supra to an early 240Z is nothing to laugh at, might actually be hurtful in some way since there will be less load to spool the turbo quickly.

Always happy to talk shop!

• 1 month later...

It does. I recently picked up a swap done by a previous owner "Cyrus" that did it in 2005 with it. The gear shift pops up right before the ash tray. I'm in the middle of doing a full upgrade of the interior and removed out a worn out center console. The center console will have to be cut to make it work again if you want to keep it, at least that is how this swap goes.

apexi stuff in glove box.jpg

IMG-4129.JPG

IMG-4128.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there BLKMGK...been a while...

Had the 2JZGTE and V160 in my 71 240z, prior to going to the turbo LS...fit was great, no problem with the trans tunnel...might be some old pics floating around the archives. 

Happy to see Cyrus’s car is still here on Hybridz  too