HybridZ

RB26 Dipstick Relocation (again)

NylonAdmiral

Hi guys

I've trawled the forum and found a whole bunch of different posts but they seem to be inconclusive, or they're so old that they're full of broken links.

I've got an RB26 from an R34, it's currently at the engine builders and I'm trying to get the guys there to relocate the dipstick to the rearward position for me as it has a RWD oil pan on it.

There seem to be a lot of posts saying that there is just a brass plug that can be knocked out, however this seems to be most prevalent on RB25 related threads.

Whilst some people seem to have been able to do this on RB26s, there are other threads saying that some RB26 owners had to get the block machined.

Unfortunately, most of the threads that have pictures are so old that the picture links are broken.  By block doesn't seem to have any kind of brass plug that could be knocked out.

Can anyone clarify this situation?  Or does anyone have a thread documenting how they machined a 26 block for the rearward dipstick hole?

Any pics would be a bonus too!

Thanks a lot in advance!

• 5 months later...

This is from the pinned thread...I know it basically just reiterates what you already know...

If you don't have a freeze plug in that location, your block will have a casting spot (basically the same size as the hole where your dipstick currently enters the block) toward the rear passenger side of your block (where a freeze plug went on RB25's)...You would need to get the right size freeze plug for your current dipstick location (the front of the block), and before they plug that location (front of the block), measure the diameter of the hole and machine one the same size at the rear of the block where the casting indentation is...

Do you have a pic of the block on the passenger side?