HybridZ

Vq37vhr swap into my 71

Zumf20c

Hey guys, I just purchased a vq37vhr out of a tboned 2017 370z.  The engine will get pulled out in a couple of days.  I pretty much have access to everything needed in the car pertaining to the swap.  Question is what items do i need to get?  From reading a few posts I would be needing engine, transmission, uncut harness, ecu, accelerator pedal, vvel unit.  Anything else I should grab like driveshaft etc to make the swap a little easier where i won't be searching for parts?  Any help appreciated....The place will be removing the engine on Saturday and I don't want to miss on something. TIA

Edited by Zumf20c

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the insight fellas..lol. Got the motor swap 2017 with 3k miles. Motor is little dusty from the car sitting out in the yard but should clean up nicely. Beginning to take out everything not needed like ac compressor, ps pump, etc. More updates soon. 

80EC5EF2-F49E-4462-BA32-58FF2C37B3DA.jpeg
will be going in the 71

8E799EE4-677D-4D4F-AEAF-701A703E0995.jpeg

Edited by Zumf20c

Looks like you got a engine/trans assembly with the EFI harness all in one go, with only 3k miles too. Pretty sweet find my man! If you were able to get the ECU, VVEL Module and sub-harness, throttle pedal, and the OBDII and Dash Harness pigtails than you are in business. If not check your local scrapyards and if you can find 370Z/G37 that not totally stripped you should be able to get those all without to much trouble. I'm currently working on swapping a VQ37VHR into my 1973 240Z same color as yours too. With only 3K miles on your assembly it should have no problem lasting a long while as is if you plan to drop it in as is and make no modifications. I know I'll be happy with a stock NA VQ37, but I am getting an itch to put some exhaust cams in it and a lighter flywheel in it while mine is sitting on the engine stand (my engine has 25K miles and trans has 73K miles). I've been talking to a few other people in the same stages of a VQ37 swap as us and we should definitely put our combined skills together to make this swap more viable for for those interested in resto-modding their Z's because the VQ37 could easily become a swap that is as common and easy as the LS swap while still keeping the car fully Nissan.

Hit me up if you ever wanna bounce ideas around. I'm going to be posting a video soon going over all the electronic parts I scrounged together for ZFever to do the re-wire and some tips on getting those parts out to help out those who are getting stuck at this part.

Sanchez...thats awesome. Cant wait to see your finished car. I do agree i wanted to keep it nissan and these motors do 300whp all day...which is more than enough for me plus the weight distribution makes for a fun little car. I spoke to Doug and hopefully was able to pull all needed for the harness work. Best of luck to you and most definitely need to link up to help each other out on our journeys.

heres the wiring i got from the donor. Now just waiting on the mounts from Speed Socal. 

48E0CFE3-5642-4B25-B852-DC7B996B6A7E.jpeg

Edited by Zumf20c

• 3 weeks later...

How long did it take to get those mounts from Speed SoCal. Its a bummer they don't come painted because you definitely don't want these pricey mounts rusting.  Their engine mounts look a little small and stiff which would be good for a race car but for a comfortable ride for a street car I was wondering if the stock isolators from VQ37 would work. Do you think you'll stick with their's or try and fit the stock isolators?

12 hours ago, Sanchez said:

How long did it take to get those mounts from Speed SoCal. Its a bummer they don't come painted because you definitely don't want these pricey mounts rusting.  Their engine mounts look a little small and stiff which would be good for a race car but for a comfortable ride for a street car I was wondering if the stock isolators from VQ37 would work. Do you think you'll stick with their's or try and fit the stock isolators?

Yes i am very disappointed that they didn't come painted. To me it just seemed unfinished. As far as the timeframe...took about a month to get them. The stock isolators will not work. These are pretty much the Mckinney Mounts...Speed Socal now make and sell their items. If i can do it over again...I would just make mounts instead of dishing out 700 plus for these.

• 2 weeks later...

@Zumf20c

Don’t suppose there is any chance you would be willing to try and get some plans/blueprints drawn up of what you received for us VQ37 swappers to make them ourselves. If they don’t even come painted I find it hard to justify paying $700 dollars and waiting ~1 month to get some pretty basic welded steel.

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Zumf20c said:

This came in today. A little disappointed that they didnt come painted but just grateful to get them. Time to pull the l24 and mount the vq in her. 

034B7E27-B73F-40FF-9662-5AC33759BDBF.jpeg

Did you have this stuff made or was it a kit from somewhere? Where you you get it? Looks like quality stuff. I am looking into this swap myself.

17 hours ago, Clyde60 said:

Did you have this stuff made or was it a kit from somewhere? Where you you get it? Looks like quality stuff. I am looking into this swap myself.

If you bothered to look back a couple of posts you would see that the supplier was Speed SoCal.