HybridZ

VQ37 Swap

dlumber

Looking at dropping a VQ37 with the matching 6-speed in my 77 280 (MT). As far as equipping the vehicle to run properly (on just the stock motor) are there any other modifications that I need to make to the rear end? I am getting the driveshaft, and mounts already, just didn't know if I am potentially missing something. 

Yes, I've read all of Hoke's stuff too, so I'm fairly familiar with the VQ swaps. 

Edited by dlumber

If you are just asking about what has to be done to the rear suspension when swapping a VQ37, I would say at the very least have an R200 swap to handle the torque from the motor, and switch to CV axles. I’m personally waiting for Techno Toy Tuning to release their Ford 8.8 rear swap or using Apex Engineered’s rear subframe swap which also can use a Ford 8.8 diff.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 11:59 AM, Sanchez said:

If you are just asking about what has to be done to the rear suspension when swapping a VQ37, I would say at the very least have an R200 swap to handle the torque from the motor, and switch to CV axles. I’m personally waiting for Techno Toy Tuning to release their Ford 8.8 rear swap or using Apex Engineered’s rear subframe swap which also can use a Ford 8.8 diff.

Do we have an ETA to the release of the 8.8 swap?

• 1 month later...