HybridZ

Bad Dog frame rail install question

First thing I am doing to my 280Z is install the Bad Dog frame rails and have a question on how the car should be supported to limit chassis flex as I weld in the rails. Should I have the car supported by all four wheels or is it okay to have it supported from bumper  mounts on a rotisserie?   The car is rust free and in good shape with no apparent collision damage

I haven't done it, but I haven't heard of anyone putting extra reinforcement on the car while installing them. If you're rails aren't gone already and the roof is in good shape I would think it would be fine. I mostly have read that people find their chassis is crooked already and have to force things to line up for the new rails.

If you are concerned you could always temporarily weld some steel tubing across the door frames and between them as well to be sure. I've done that on a convertible MG.

Unless you already have the car stripped down to the shell don't bother with a rotisserie, although that is the best way to install them.

Support under the wheels will work as long as there is no way she can roll off, welding laying on your back sucks but can be done.

Yeah, the car is gutted now and making rotisserie mounts to connect to bumper brackets today.  A HybridZ member sent over a link with chassis measurements to double check the chassis is square before welding in SFC. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 280Z-LS3 said:

Yeah, the car is gutted now and making rotisserie mounts to connect to bumper brackets today.  A HybridZ member sent over a link with chassis measurements to double check the chassis is square before welding in SFC. 

That's great,  so much easier to weld on a rotisserie,  you can stitch weld on the outside lip of the frame rail or drill holes along that lip and plug weld to the floor pan.