HybridZ

steering rack issues; vq37 swap into S30

Hey guys, i’m in the middle of  swapping my vq37 into my 280z. we’ve stumbled onto a very important issue 😅 

Steering shaft- we have added a few U joints and heim joints to support the rack. the angles aren’t right a lot of binding, we have tried different approaches but we end up with binding and terrible steering. I’ve talked to a few people on social media that have done this swap and i’ve been told to cut into my time chain cover...... 

Some one help me😭😭😭😭😭 

The Pinion sticks out from the rack and the joint that connects to the rack hits the timing cover (that’s where we would like to cut) we removed the compressor from the block to allow us some room to work with. 

305ED0F4-D7D1-49C6-8658-E3D118B937E3.jpeg

4E771337-4DA8-4600-9A80-D5B4B174272C.jpeg

565A272D-2F4A-4F41-B2DB-9F0521084166.jpeg

This is a good question and there is almost no info I have found, even from ZFever about how to change the steering linkages with the VQ35/VQ37 swap. For a while I was under the impression the tubular manifolds on the VQ37 would allow the steering to clear when it is mounted correctly but that may not be case. I wish I could help you but I’m just as lost as you when it comes to this area of the swap. 

On 7/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, Sanchez said:

This is a good question and there is almost no info I have found, even from ZFever about how to change the steering linkages with the VQ35/VQ37 swap. For a while I was under the impression the tubular manifolds on the VQ37 would allow the steering to clear when it is mounted correctly but that may not be case. I wish I could help you but I’m just as lost as you when it comes to this area of the swap. 

We installed manifolds and it doesn’t seem to have a huge issue, as long as we angel it right😅 

none-less the biggest issue is the hard steering. 

It looks like you could get better angles on the steering shaft sections by rotating the pinion down toward the firewall and come in below the ear on your timing chain cover.

Also, is the engine as far back and toward the passenger side as possible?

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

I was just looking over the pictures again and was wondering the same thing as @74_5.0L_Z. It seems like the best way to fit these engine in the car is to set them as far back against the firewall as possible and lower if possible (I've heard some talk that the McKinney mounts come with some shims to adjust engine height, and are slotted for some tilt adjustment).  Also noticed that it seems like your steering rack is angled differently than mine sits, it looks like the part where the u-joint connects to the steering rack is pointing up higher than mine looks which could be throwing off your steering (It could also be the angle of your pictures that is making it seem that way).

Here is the way the steering is angled in this picture from Silvermine Motors website:

Electric Power Steering kit for 240z 260z 280z Datsun 1970-1978 S30

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Sanchez nope we are still trying to figure it out, we started focusing on other stuff on the car to give us a break from the steering shaft, but its getting old having to manually turn the wheels on the car lol... I reached out to Doug from Z fever to see if he can give me some pointers, hoping to hear back soon. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...