HybridZ

Viper t56 conversion

I have a friend that just wrecked his Viper and asked me if I was still interested in a t56.  I can get it at a good price but wondering what it will take to get it to work in my 73 240z with a 5.3 LS motor. Right now it's an automatic transmission.  I was hoping one of you guys had some experience you can share.

Thanks on advance,

I used a viper t56 in my datsun. I’m not sure about differences in year (my t56 was out of a 98 viper) but I had to get an ls input shaft and bellhousing. The throw out bearing retainer has the 2 holes clocked differently too, but I think I just reused a viper one because I don’t remember drilling any holes in mine. I used an ls7 clutch kit.

The three slave cylinders pictured Left to right are ls1, ls7, and viper. I just reused the viper one because the bolts lined up with the viper t56 faceplate and it was the same measurements compressed and extended as the ls7 slave cylinder. The hardest part is getting the input shaft in. I paid bob hanlon motorsports to do it.  You also need a shifter, I believe the viper one is offset left and forward. I used an mgw shifter for the adjustability and had to cut a new hole in my trans tunnel.

C0413882-861F-4CA0-8C73-273B4896B408.jpeg

I am using a Viper T56 also. I swapped the bellhousing and Input shaft to LS1 and the too. It's been a while since I did it but I pulled the front plate off and the input shaft is sitting right there and that's all I had to mess with. I believe I just pulled it off(front plate) and swapped the LS1 shaft on because its shimmed and held in place by the front plate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 11:40 AM, JQADDINGMACHINE said:

I used a viper t56 in my datsun. I’m not sure about differences in year (my t56 was out of a 98 viper) but I had to get an ls input shaft and bellhousing. The throw out bearing retainer has the 2 holes clocked differently too, but I think I just reused a viper one because I don’t remember drilling any holes in mine. I used an ls7 clutch kit.

What year bellhousing and input shaft?  Did you use corvet or camaro input shaft and bellhousing?

It should be safe to use 1999-2002 Camaro or Trans Am bellhousing and input shaft. I'm not sure about the corvette bellhousing but you can;t go wrong with the 99-01 Camaro/Trans Am. You can google LS t56 Input Shaft and find various prices on them. 

10 hours ago, Daz said:

It should be safe to use 1999-2002 Camaro or Trans Am bellhousing and input shaft. I'm not sure about the corvette bellhousing but you can;t go wrong with the 99-01 Camaro/Trans Am. You can google LS t56 Input Shaft and find various prices on them. 

Thanks, that's great information.

1 hour ago, milesz said:

Thanks, that's great information.

One more question, if I stay with the Viper mid-plate, what slave cylinder do I need to get?  Can I used any Dodge slave cylinder is only from a Viper? 

I stayed with the Viper mid-plate and hydraulic TOB. I went with a Tilton 75-Series MC(p/n#75-280, 7/8 bore). It fits perfectly in the stock location. 

NOTE: I haven't actually tested this setup out. I had my car running at one point last year but I don't have a driveshaft yet(I would like to hear your input on that. I have a s13 rear subframe with a q45 diff)and decided to switch from turbo to LSA S/C. 

9 hours ago, Daz said:

I stayed with the Viper mid-plate and hydraulic TOB. I went with a Tilton 75-Series MC(p/n#75-280, 7/8 bore). It fits perfectly in the stock location. 

NOTE: I haven't actually tested this setup out. I had my car running at one point last year but I don't have a driveshaft yet(I would like to hear your input on that. I have a s13 rear subframe with a q45 diff)and decided to switch from turbo to LSA S/C. 

Do you have any pictures you can share?  What clutch set up did you use? Thanks for the information.

• 10 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 11:40 AM, JQADDINGMACHINE said:

Did you shim the TOB?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 5:39 AM, JQADDINGMACHINE said:

Nope. didn't need any shims with the viper TOB to LS7 clutch and flywheel.

I didn't notice your other questions either until now but I just ordered a bellhousing and input shaft by looking them up as a 2001 v8 camaro.

I just purchase HP Tuners and have no experience turning.  Is there any advice you can give me on tuning for the t56?  I also install a ls6 cam and intake.  Can you share your tuning files that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 11:27 PM, milesz said:

I just purchase HP Tuners and have no experience turning.  Is there any advice you can give me on tuning for the t56?  I also install a ls6 cam and intake.  Can you share your tuning files that would be great.

sorry I used a Holley terminator X in my car. Not really familiar with HPT