HybridZ

Slop in passenger rear axle/companion flange splines. 240Z

When uninstalling/reinstalling the diff, I noticed the passenger side axle companion flange rotated independent of the axle while loosening the bolts.

I could pretty easily rotate it back and fourth by hand a couple degrees or so. The axle nut was still staked in place, but had definitely lost its clamping force.

I could clamp the axle down with a new nut, but with as much play the splines now have, I'm thinking this axle is toast and would be too risky to continue using. Wouldn't want it to snap during a launch.

Does anyone agree?

Is it likely the axle wasn't installed properly? (I have never disassembled the passenger side axle, so I wouldn't know) Should a fresh install with a new nut torqued down to 230+ ft lbs be fine? Would it be wise to inspect the axles after each autocross?

Thanks in advance!

If the nut is still staked in place then either it wasn't tightened fully in the first place or the splines have been wiped off.

Remove and investigate, I hope I'm wrong but I can't see how the companion flange can move independent of the axle unless it is one of those 2 explanations.