HybridZ

Dealing with vapor off a fuel cell

AydinZ71

My 71’ has a racing fuel cell installed by a previous owner. It has two fuel sending units, a fill orifice, and a simple filter breather for the vapors to escape. 

unfortunately, my garage Is taking the brunt of those fugitive emissions. Any idea of how I can remedy the fumes? I was thinking of eliminating the breather, and running a hose to a carbon filter canister. No idea where to start looking for one. 

Anyone have any clever solutions in mind? My background is thermodynamics, but fuel tanks are not my speciality. 

17B2362E-A90D-4FA3-AD2F-52BAE6BCECFE.png

I would start at the wreckers for a carbon canister, just about any car from the 80s. Can you plumb the tank breather up to front and into the air filter?  You might install a ballcock valve on the breather and close it when you put the car away in the garage and open it again after start up.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool! Nice solution :) 

I ended up getting two fuel line check valves. One will be to release pressure from the tank, the other is for vacuum. Both have a light spring pressure they have to overcome, so they will isolate the tank up to a few inches of mercury in either direction. You can see my proposed solution @240z_restomod