HybridZ

280z rear clunk..

Yea just wanted to take it for a nice long drive and make sure it was 100% gone, which I just did and it's clunk free. What I did last on it was

Tighten the following - mustache bar bushings and where it connects to diff cover (very tight now), all cross member bolts, tie rod end links, half shaft bolts.. all to guten tight specs

Also noticed the bump stop cover on the passenger strut had worked its way half off so I pulled it down and now it's just chilling on the spring perch, nothing else I can do until spring comes off unfortunately

That's it

AHHHH I spoke too soon. Clunk came back.. Although it's very quiet now.. good news though, I figured out what it is!! I forgot to mention in the work that I did I also sprayed the rear sway bar bushings with wd40, didn't think it would do much if anything but that's what helped eliminate this sound. Everytime the wd40 dries up the noise comes back ever so slightly, get down on the ground and spray it with some more = noise gone for about a day.

So I can just buy a barrel full of wd40 and spray it every so often or I can buy new bushings and install them with some grease. Hmmm choices choices what to do? 

Can't believe the sway bar bushings would make a sound like this, but hey I'm not complaining, easy fix. Just glad it's not the differential or lower control arms.

Edited by alex44

Maybe this is all I had on hand and it worked perfectly to diagnose what was wrong and maybe I will be buying new bushings and using marine grease to install them.

Wd40 smells great though let's both agree on that, I use it as cologne sometimes.