HybridZ

Drive Shaft Length

Mayolives

I installed a five speed (late model, type "B") from I believe a 1981, 280zx into a 73, 240Z.  I used a drive shaft removed from another 73, 240z, 4 speed, parts car.  The driveshaft appears to be about an inch too long.  I had a bit of trouble sliding the yoke into the transmission.  I checked the splines on both the yoke and the transmission with a small, machinist ruler and they looked perfectly straight and clean.  But I still had to lightly tape the yoke into the gear box.  I know the joint needs to slide a little when the car is in motion but it' a little tight.  Also, I'm not sure the yoke is in the transmission far (deep) enough.  Should the outer piece (shield) that goes around the drive shaft spline' go all the way into the transmission and touch the area where the real seal is?  I still have about an inch to go before it would touch the gear box seal area but I don't want to force it all the way down in there. Any ideas?

Edited by Mayolives

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of searching here for "driveshaft" stuff, I have learned yet another thing about these old z cars. That would be about the 22 spline count slip yoke based on a 24 count spline. Meaning 24 splines with two cut out on apposing sides.  I tried a driveshaft from my 79 280zx in this five speed and it slid into the gearbox easily.  So apparently I need to find another slip yoke for the 73 240z driveshaft that I'm trying to use.  Z Car Depot list one (part # 800-923) with 24 spline count that skips 2.  However, the listing states it is for a 280z not a 280zx.  Will this slip joint fit my 5 speed?  It never ceases to amaze me that after decades of playing with z cars and many years reading lots of post here, that I discover something an old dog like me didn't know more about. 

The late model is the slightly confusing bit, I believe I used my 71 240z drive shaft, shortened on my 1979 ZX 5 speed, but I also flipped my differential mustache bar pushing my diff forward so I'm not sure how much shortening if any is required.

The yoke just has to be engaged enough and past the seal. The dust shield usually comes past the exposed portion of the yoke to shield it from any debris so it doesn't tear up the seal if it moves in too far. In this orientation I'm not sure there is much concern for the yoke moving too much since the rear is mounted and the engine cants over left and right. I suppose there is some movement from accelerating and braking with worn stock mounts to account for.

You are ahead of the curve, sometimes people forget, but there is always something new you can learn somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...