HybridZ

Light Weight 17" 3 piece adjustable wheel options

Newbie here doing his first post to this group.  I am looking for 17", light weight, 3 piece wheel options.  I have no idea what today's market offers.  I once had a cool set of Giotti 15x10 3 piece wheels 35 years ago.  I like the period look of the Panasports.  I am considering 17x10's with a 275x40x17 for the rear and 17x8 with a 245x40 or 235x40 for the front.  Or thereabouts.  I would like to keep the wheel weight in the 17 lb or 18 lb range if possible.  I do not want 24 lb wheels.  Any suggestions for wheel manufactures would be welcome.  TYIA

Chris

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, Howsurcargo said:

Newbie here doing his first post to this group.  I am looking for 17", light weight, 3 piece wheel options.  I have no idea what today's market offers.  I once had a cool set of Giotti 15x10 3 piece wheels 35 years ago.  I like the period look of the Panasports.  I am considering 17x10's with a 275x40x17 for the rear and 17x8 with a 245x40 or 235x40 for the front.  Or thereabouts.  I would like to keep the wheel weight in the 17 lb or 18 lb range if possible.  I do not want 24 lb wheels.  Any suggestions for wheel manufactures would be welcome.  TYIA

Chris

One thing to consider is that now most of the best tires are moving to 18" or 19" so when you go with a 16" or 17" you better look at the tire options and really make sure you want to stay with that diameter especially if it is a street car as the quality of tires can be very limited.  I have two 240z's with no flared bodies with custom off sets and they are running 16x8.5 with 245 on all four tires but there are only a couple of decent tires and the prices is a little high.  My more aggressive street 240Z has monster 345 and 285 15" but now I can not get tires for that size so I am going to go with a 19".  One of the best street tires is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and they only make one size in 17" but in 18" and 19" there are a great array of sizes,  https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&partnum=43YR9PSSXLV3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I would first look at the tire options very carefully before you decide on the rim size...

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your response.  I am 99% sure I am going with 17x10  3 piece Jongbloed Wheels.  I understand that their 17 and 18" wheels use the same center section but different rim halves.  I intend to us 275x40/17 tires.  I spent a lot of time considering the the options available on Tire Rack.  I looked at the 285 and 345 15's you mentioned but because there was only 1 tire available for each size I decided against that.

• 5 months later...

Any updates on this?  Those Jongbloeds are beautiful wheels, but what of cost, weight - and most importantly. fitment?  A quick search reveals that just over the past year, we've had multiple threads on "Help, all of the Datsun wheel links are now 10+ years old, and there's no comprehensive spreadsheet anyway".   Then there's the inevitable question of stock springs (cut or otherwise... assumption is that the spring perch is NOT relocated) vs. coilovers.  The result is inevitably... inconclusive.