HybridZ

Z turbo muffler suggestions

Looking to replace the dynomax 2.5" muffler thats currently on the rear of my 280z turbo. Its a very restrictive muffler, too quiet, goes from 2.5" to 2.25" on the inside for some reason. Exhaust is also equipped with a 2.5" vibrant bottle style resonator which sits besides the transmission. Im considering the following for the rear

-magnaflow 10416 2.5"

-vibrant 1141 2.5"

These are both straight through designs. Im just a bit worried it will be TOO loud and drone like mad, I dont want this car to be a cop magnet either as its my daily driver but I want something less restrictive and with a bit more rumble at WOT. Thoughts on the two listed mufflers or suggest something different? 

and yes Im still working on the clunk😉

Ended up ordering the vibrant 1141. Didnt want to wait around for a possible answer and I think the magnaflow would be too loud. Hopefully the vibrant holds up to its name "ultra quiet" and doesnt drone, just want a bit more decibels compared to the dynomax which is so quiet. The engine revving seems louder then the exhaust note itself.

Will update this with how I like it once its installed. Hoping to find the source of my clunk that day as well because I will be under the car for the exhaust anyways, clunk/tap/knock sound is getting extremely annoying..

Edited by alex44

I mean if noise is your thing a dynomax bullet will get you there. Short of a valved muffler or electric cut out it is hard to get both. I had a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and an amazon baffled muffler and it was fairly benign, enough sound to drive without the tach, but not quite requiring earplugs.

I have dual dynomax VT's on my Rbz.  Really takes care of the drone. Quietens things down nicely at idle and cruise.  Great sound when opened up :-) .  Looks like they are discontinued though :-(

Edited by DREW RBZ
Added content

@seattlejester Too much noise when cruising around town is no bueno for me. I will be very happy if its tame at idle and under 3000rpm, just want it to open up and roar at WOT. Your Z is turbo as well correct? I used to have a single fart cannon muffler on the exhaust, 2.5" in and like a 4" ricer tip, sounded pretty damn good when getting in boost but the drone on highway was awful. Heard good things about the vibrant exhaust and I always like their other products they seem high quality.

@DREW RBZ Just googled the dynomax VT muffler, never heard of it but looks pretty neat. Your rbz meaning rb swapped Z car?

Edited by alex44

On 8/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, alex44 said:

@seattlejester Too much noise when cruising around town is no bueno for me. I will be very happy if its tame at idle and under 3000rpm, just want it to open up and roar at WOT. Your Z is turbo as well correct? I used to have a single fart cannon muffler on the exhaust, 2.5" in and like a 4" ricer tip, sounded pretty damn good when getting in boost but the drone on highway was awful. Heard good things about the vibrant exhaust and I always like their other products they seem high quality.

@DREW RBZ Just googled the dynomax VT muffler, never heard of it but looks pretty neat. Your rbz meaning rb swapped Z car?

Rb26 swapped

I ran a 3” magnaflow straight-through model on my L28et at 300lb torque. Never had any problems. Was quiet enough. 

just installed a 2.5” dynomax on my 71’ SCCA L24 car. Quiet enough for me, but I agree upsizing if you want to run 300+lbs torque

honestly I don’t know why people want their exhaust to be so loud on a Turbo equipped car. When the waste-gate opens, the entire town will hear it. 

Installed the vibrant 1141 resonator today. First impressions - sounds perfect at idle, was just what I was looking for. Nice smooth rumble but not obnoxiously loud. Cruising around the city is definitely a bit louder than the dynomax which is to be expected, but the tone sounds nice and not too loud like my neighbors supercharged 240z with a magnaflow 2.5" bottle muffler. Still need to take it on the highway and if it doesnt drone I will be very very pleased with it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 8:41 PM, alex44 said:

Installed the vibrant 1141 resonator today. First impressions - sounds perfect at idle, was just what I was looking for. Nice smooth rumble but not obnoxiously loud. Cruising around the city is definitely a bit louder than the dynomax which is to be expected, but the tone sounds nice and not too loud like my neighbors supercharged 240z with a magnaflow 2.5" bottle muffler. Still need to take it on the highway and if it doesnt drone I will be very very pleased with it.

How are you liking it so far? I too am looking for the trifecta of quietest, least restrictive, and lightest solution possible. If I could get all three stool-legs (so-to-speak) as equally short as possible, is be happy. I really don’t mind it being whisper quiet at idle or low-load driving. As soon as that Waste-gate opens, it’s plenty loud for me and the neighborhood! 

I grew tired of being know as the “loud car” in my neighborhood.