HybridZ

CHTS TRYING TO REMOVE JUST SPINS

DMSAND112

NewZed & Neverdone Thanks for responding. Regarding Vice grips there is not enough of anything to grab onto. I was thinking about attempting to drill but even if it does not just spin like it does as I try backing it out anyone know where any pieces of the sensor may end up. Being a dry sensor obviously it will not be in the coolant. From what I understand the tip rest against metal (which might be preventing the sensor from separating). Being my 1st post (on any forum) I just figured out how to post pictures which may help.Pictures of 3 sensors. On left is the original. I hack sawed off the nut so I could understand what is going on. The middle is the new one I just installed and as I was torquing it it sheared off (It didn't take much). One on right is the new "Genuine Nissan" I ordered steering clear of cheap imitations although It resembles the cheap one more than the original I had to hack saw. 5th picture is what I see now and that tiny bit that sticks out just spins.

CLOSE UP CHTS 1.JPG

CHTS.JPG

CHTS Original, Sheared off when torqued, New 'Genuine Nissan Part.JPG

left whats showing middle has not fallen out.JPG

hacksawed original middle after falling out.JPG

Its actually a dry temp sensor. As I was torque it the head kept turning and I wanted to have it in the same position as the original (supposedly best position for the bend in the harness) so I would turn the head back-- tighten-- head back... (I wasn't paying attention as a little one kept asking what was I doing). I had it set at 10 ft lbs. Previously I also had used a heat gun to test it (weaken metal?). Should have been paying attention. I've tried different EZ outs both size and type (including above). It just spins but it is starting to chew up something. Considering switching to wet temp sensor by relocating as z garage site says.

39 minutes ago, DMSAND112 said:

Its actually a dry temp sensor.

It just spins but it is starting to chew up something. Considering switching to wet temp sensor by relocating as z garage site says.

Oops, I forgot about that.  Dry.  Even better, finger tight would probably have worked.  Too late though.

It's not a strong metal, as shown by the fact that it broke.  Might be that you're only contacting the insert inside the threaded portion, circled in red below, and that's what's spinning.  Your EZ Out is not contacting the thread outer sleeve.  Find a way to make contact with the outer sleeve that has the threads.  Maybe a chisel to poke/peel the inner portion inward, jam it in between the insert and the threaded sleeve.  Even a pick or a thin screwdriver might jam in to the gap there.Just a guess.  Without the head on it there's really no tension on the threaded portion.  It should be finger tight, unless you used thread locker on it.

image.png.522940e5cd367db364d338640b0332f7.png

Edited by NewZed

Hi NewZed

I totally agree. When I hack sawed the original, the part you circled, slipped out very easily.    Do you happen to know If Pieces happen to fall into the engine, what are they falling into? Never have seen the inside of the engine. If pieces fall into a section that would not hurt anything I would get more aggressive with it. The last thing I did was use a cotton swab and pulled out gold debris.

I would call Nissan but I know more about the car than they do. The last mechanic which knew a lot was at Pacific Nissan (Pacific Beach San Diego) and they sold to Lang and they abruptly closed leaving the office equipment along with what was in parts to be auctioned off as abandoned property a few months ago.

9 hours ago, DMSAND112 said:

Hi NewZed

I totally agree. When I hack sawed the original, the part you circled, slipped out very easily.    Do you happen to know If Pieces happen to fall into the engine, what are they falling into? Never have seen the inside of the engine.

That hole is not open to the inside of the engine.  It's dry, as you reminded.  You could even drill out the remnants and rethread it.  Just don't drill too deep.

• 3 months later...