HybridZ

CD009 Bellhousing build thread Warning lots O pics

Derek

This is awesome! I've been waiting for Rob / Z Car Garage to get more of the Hoke adapters in, but I think this is honestly a much cleaner option.

Looking for a used input shaft for a CD009 6MT

If you still need one... I believe I have a CD009, purchased from a local auto wrecker as having come from a 2006 350Z (VIN JN1AZ34D56M307564). I'm not doing anything with it until I have some method of attaching it to an L28ET I haven't built for a 240Z I haven't restored. So, if you need to borrow an input shaft or any other guts, I'd be happy to loan you anything you like if it means I can get my name on the waitlist for one of these bellhousings :biggrin:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you tell me:)

So I ended up buying a brand new input shaft and bearing for testing and it's worked out really well so far.

Chris from Godzilla has done some test fitting with the bell housing I sent him and I have the data I need to make the final tweeks to the pattern. I'm doing that tomorrow and hopefully will have the patterns back down to the foundry next week so I can get in line. I'm ordering 10 for the first go round. Chris is handling pre orders and keeping track of who wants one so if you want one I would contact him. I will be selling them directly as well but I'm encouraging people to deal with Godzilla since I have my hands full.

In the video I'm running a 3.9. It pulls out of the hole really well even with my low HP build. The problem for me was on the highway it was taching too high for my comfort. The motor is pretty quiet down below 2800 or so and at 75 mph it was a little loud for me. I pulled the 3.9 and put the 3.364 back in. As expected the highway RPM's came way down but out of the hole was lacking. If I had my 3.2 built It probably would be fine.  I just bought a Subie 3.54 LSD and I think (hope) that it will be my forever differential. 

I use this drive train calculator to play around with and it really helps. It's for 4WD so ignore the transfer case section:)  It's nice because it has two columns  and you can easily compare between different combinations.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Instructions:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears_instructions.html

CD009 Ratios:

1st  3.79

2nd  2.32

3rd  1.62

4th  1.27

5th  1.0

6th .79

I love my 3.9 . I also like cruising at 3k because it’s where things really smooth out and I think the motor is really comfortable and no drone at 3k . Also puts me right close to power band . 0-60 times getting close to 4.5 seconds . I don’t care much about “top speed” . I am eye balling the CD to replace my G-force T-5 someday , but tired of working on the car -lol. I don’t mind altering my tunnel, my car is already altered . It would cheaper for me to get the CD vs replacing the T-5 if it crapped out. 
The love hate about the G-force is the straight cut gears . Love the gear noise sometimes and then sometimes I want more refinement . 

1 hour ago, madkaw said:

but tired of working on the car

Preaching to the choir :)

Thank goodness for a twin post lift and an air conditioned shop.

1 hour ago, madkaw said:

I don’t care much about “top speed”

Nor do I. I based all my calculations on 75mph cruise speeds. I then drove the car at the revs that the calculator listed for the different ratios to get a feel for it. The 3.79 first gear gives some options as far as final drive choice in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, madkaw said:

The love hate about the G-force is the straight cut gears

Yea the CD009 isn't exactly known as a silent gear box by any stretch. My main complaint is in neutral clutch out the input shaft noise is a little bothersome. 

12 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

@Derek was there a subaru junkyard you went through to get the 3.54? I was hoping to find a 3.9 LSD, been looking locally for a few months and cant find anyone parting out cars in the SF bay / Sacramento.

I bought both off of ebay. The 3.9 was supposedly out of a 2004 with under 36K miles. It has a noticeable whine at 50 which leads me to believe that under 36K was wrong. The 3.54 was out of a 2019 with 19K  and it looks like it.  I was learning to live with the 3.9 but then the 6 speed made me want a 3.54. Buying a used rear end is a crap shoot. 

On 9/23/2020 at 3:17 AM, Derek said:

I just bought a Subie 3.54 LSD and I think (hope) that it will be my forever differential. 

I would imagine it's going to be a good combo, really similar to the T-5 and R200 in a S130 Turbo (0.78 5th, 3.545 R200). That's probably the exact diff I'll be using, since I'm sitting on a mountain of 280ZX parts. The only thing that gives me pause is that 3.79 first gear (compared to the T-5's 3.5). With a nice modern turbo, a 3.364 rear might actually be a really good match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 3:10 AM, Derek said:

I bought both off of ebay. The 3.9 was supposedly out of a 2004 with under 36K miles. It has a noticeable whine at 50 which leads me to believe that under 36K was wrong. The 3.54 was out of a 2019 with 19K  and it looks like it.  I was learning to live with the 3.9 but then the 6 speed made me want a 3.54. Buying a used rear end is a crap shoot. 

Hey there Derek! I have scrolled through the post and saw your pricing, but I think I missed when you will have this available for sale? How are you transacting sales, through a website or PayPal? I’m definitely interested! My NA 5-speed will not last much longer on the L28et. 

26 minutes ago, AydinZ71 said:

Hey there Derek! I have scrolled through the post and saw your pricing, but I think I missed when you will have this available for sale? How are you transacting sales, through a website or PayPal? I’m definitely interested! My NA 5-speed will not last much longer on the L28et. 

So the first ten bell housings have been sold and shipped to Godzilla Raceworks who is a dealer on these. Those ten are all sold.  He offers the bell housings as well as the rest of the stuff needed for the conversion.

I sell the bell housings direct but I don't stock nor get involved with the rest of the stuff. 

The bell housing and modified front cover is $1110.00 plus shipping. It comes with all the necessary bolts.  You will need to source a shifter, crossmember and driveshaft.

If you have a brand new takeoff front cover from a CDXXX I will accept that as a core and credit $135.00. I do not accept used covers as a core. 

I have an order placed at the foundry for ten more bell housings and if you want to preorder you can contact Godzilla.  I don't do preorders since I don't want to be bothered:). I've finally attained cranky old man status and I'm loving it.

I'm also in development on adapting the Aisin TL70 6 speed out of the BRZ. It's basically going to be the same setup as the CD009 conversion wise. The biggest difference is you don't have to cut up the tunnel for it to fit but it won't take nearly the abuse that the CD009 will.

Here is a shot of the mockup as it currently sits.

IMG_3169.jpeg.53da2225f2776b594617382476444408.jpeg

I'm pretty certain this is a workable solution for people that have lower HP builds but want the ratios a 6 speed affords.  

As soon as I get the next ten CD009 bell housings done I'm going to jump on this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 5:46 AM, Derek said:

So the first ten bell housings have been sold and shipped to Godzilla Raceworks who is a dealer on these. Those ten are all sold.  He offers the bell housings as well as the rest of the stuff needed for the conversion.

I sell the bell housings direct but I don't stock nor get involved with the rest of the stuff. 

The bell housing and modified front cover is $1110.00 plus shipping. It comes with all the necessary bolts.  You will need to source a shifter, crossmember and driveshaft.

If you have a brand new takeoff front cover from a CDXXX I will accept that as a core and credit $135.00. I do not accept used covers as a core. 

I have an order placed at the foundry for ten more bell housings and if you want to preorder you can contact Godzilla.  I don't do preorders since I don't want to be bothered:). I've finally attained cranky old man status and I'm loving it.

I'm also in development on adapting the Aisin TL70 6 speed out of the BRZ. It's basically going to be the same setup as the CD009 conversion wise. The biggest difference is you don't have to cut up the tunnel for it to fit but it won't take nearly the abuse that the CD009 will.

Here is a shot of the mockup as it currently sits.

IMG_3169.jpeg.53da2225f2776b594617382476444408.jpeg

I'm pretty certain this is a workable solution for people that have lower HP builds but want the ratios a 6 speed affords.  

As soon as I get the next ten CD009 bell housings done I'm going to jump on this.

thanks again for your help Derek! If I hear you correctly, you will not be taking ordered for the bellhousing outside your distributor at the moment. Il place an order with Godzilla. Hope I can snag one of the new ten being cast. Thanks again!!! 

3 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

thanks again for your help Derek! If I hear you correctly, you will not be taking ordered for the bellhousing outside your distributor at the moment. Il place an order with Godzilla. Hope I can snag one of the new ten being cast. Thanks again!!! 

The first 10 were spoken for long ago, but Chris just posted a day or two ago that they're doing a second run and had 8 left. 

6 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

Yes that is correct. The foundry is a little backed up at the moment but they are trying to work me in. Problem is Covidmas  has pretty much thrown everyones time line out of whack.

• 11 months later...

My 240C coupe now has a brand new CD00A 6 speed gearbox installed

It runs with a H190 4.625 LSD with a 25 inch wheel.

Love it!

The low diff make all the ratio's super close, so it's quick out of the corners when I'm at the track.

It's transformed the car...for the better.

one.jpg

Gosh I have one but I’m still months from moving onto the street car (with the L28et). The unit is gorgeous though, and Godzilla’s video instructions were very helpful. Better than a flimsy 8.5X11 sheet of paper 

if that gorgeous DOHC ever has enough volume to sell for a few grand, I’m all in! 

Edited by AydinZ71

• 8 months later...

Just came across this after finding an article about the DOHC-heads. Any progress on the BRZ-gearbox? I imagine a modern gearbox might want some sort of control unit and sensor package, no?

(Also, just a side-note, a lot of the image-links are broken).