HybridZ

79 280zx Transmission Crossmember Bushings

Mayolives

After removing the five speed from my 79 280zx I discovered worn out crossmember bushings.  I have contacted a long list of Z parts suppliers that I've worked with for years but no one has them.  Energy Suspension doesn't list them either.  Any ideas?

The link was just an example. There are energy suspension parts for early Z cars, and if the crossmember is the same that means the bushings are the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-7-1101G-Transmission-Crossmember/dp/B004ALJWHM

Special note with these - You have to keep the bushing shells installed in the crossmember. This is the opposite of normal energy suspension bushing installs, so double check every step before you destroy the bushing shells completely.

Edited by ZHoob2004

22 hours ago, ZHoob2004 said:

The link was just an example. There are energy suspension parts for early Z cars, and if the crossmember is the same that means the bushings are the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-7-1101G-Transmission-Crossmember/dp/B004ALJWHM

Special note with these - You have to keep the bushing shells installed in the crossmember. This is the opposite of normal energy suspension bushing installs, so double check every step before you destroy the bushing shells completely.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Energy Suspension site and it says these are not compatable with my 79 zx. Afterwhich I tried to contact thier tec. support by phone for dimensions but was placed on "endless" hold then they auto disconnected me twice. I'm stuck until I can be sure these bushings will fit my crossmember. Do you or anyone else have actual experience with them? Thanks again, TB. 

I don't have specific experience with the 280zx and these bushings, but if the crossmember I linked above fits both cars, and the bushings go in the crossmember, wouldn't it stand to reason that the bushings fit your car, despite what energy suspension might have on their site?

And for $15 with easy returns, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy the bushings and visually check them before doing anything irreversible.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 4:10 PM, ZHoob2004 said:

I don't have specific experience with the 280zx and these bushings, but if the crossmember I linked above fits both cars, and the bushings go in the crossmember, wouldn't it stand to reason that the bushings fit your car, despite what energy suspension might have on their site?

And for $15 with easy returns, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy the bushings and visually check them before doing anything irreversible.

So, the Amazon listing was "out of stock".  I ordered bushings from MSA but had to keep the outer shells in place.  After tourching out the old rubber parts, the new bushings fit great!