HybridZ

Good Five Speed Repair Shops?

Mayolives

There was a transmission repair shop advertising here on the opening page. I believe it was in Charleston, SC but I can't remember their name and haven't been able to find it. Does anyone remember who they were?

I have the 5 speed out of my 79 280zx and pulled it apart to find out what was making a little noise in 1st and 2ed.  The gears look good but one of the bearings is in really bad shape. I have a rebuild kit from Zcar Depot with all the bearings, syncros, seals, etc but I've decided not to tackle it myself.  Does anyone  have a recommendation of a good shop that knows these gear boxes?  I'm in SC. 

Edited by Mayolives

Answering my own question!  The transmission shop that advertised here is Alpha Transmission.  I called them, spoke with the owner who told me he didn't advertise here on this site and the he "didn't fool with old Datsun transmissions"  Too much!  So here I go again, off into another adventure rebuilding it myself with the help of my FSM. 

I don't know what kit Z Car Depot is selling, but I've heard bad things about the cheapo RPM kits, and my friend had hers rebuilt 3 or 4 times due to bad synchros with that kit. It's been at least 20 years, so thinks may have changed, but I think factory Nissan synchros was the answer, the bearings in the cheap kits were fine buy synchro rings weren't up to snuff. 

EDIT--the other tricky part was the nut at the end of the mainshaft. Seems to have a propensity to loosen, despite being staked. My plan with mine was to tig weld the nut to the shaft in a couple spots and hope it didn't warp the shaft too much. Wonder if you might be able to tighten and then drill a hole and put a roll pin through to keep it from moving.

Edited by JMortensen

On 8/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, JMortensen said:

I don't know what kit Z Car Depot is selling, but I've heard bad things about the cheapo RPM kits, and my friend had hers rebuilt 3 or 4 times due to bad synchros with that kit. It's been at least 20 years, so thinks may have changed, but I think factory Nissan synchros was the answer, the bearings in the cheap kits were fine buy synchro rings weren't up to snuff. 

EDIT--the other tricky part was the nut at the end of the mainshaft. Seems to have a propensity to loosen, despite being staked. My plan with mine was to tig weld the nut to the shaft in a couple spots and hope it didn't warp the shaft too much. Wonder if you might be able to tighten and then drill a hole and put a roll pin through to keep it from moving.

I haven't used Zcar Depot's kit before.  The parts are made in Japan so I feel ok about them.  It's too late for me to search but I thought the parts fron Nissan were NLA.  As to the mainshaft nut,  I'm aware of it's potential to losen.  I have a new one to use and the original one was still tight when I removed it with 144k miles driven.  Perhaps the problem is how it's installed by the rebuilder?  Fingers crossed!