HybridZ
BoulderCharles

Apex Engineered Honest Review: Mistakes, missing parts, and terrible service

First, let me say that I'm posting this as an absolute last resort. I know a small business is hard to run, especially these days, so I have tried to be patient over the last 6 months.

Unfortunately, Apex Engineered has forced my hand. After 125+ emails and 6 months of effort, I am left without a complete order. Here's my story. I hope it's helpful for those considering working with Apex Engineered. I'll update if Apex Engineered responds.

The Good: I have the front and rear suspension and they look great. The install was surprisingly easy--the suspension fit without the need for any modification or "persuasion."

The Bad: Missing axle shafts, mistakes, and terrible customer service.

Missing Axles: In January I received everything except the axle shafts. Since then, the story from Apex has been...

• Feb, backordered...available in 2-3 weeks
  • March, they have the passenger but not the drivers...
  • April, just need some finishing touches...
  • May, axles are not up to their standards so they are looking for alternatives
  • June, back at heat treatment... (?)
  • July, due back in 1.5 weeks
  • August 21, Apex says the manufacturer shipped them and he will either redirect the shipment or send them when they are received
  • September 9 (and 4 emails later), still no axle shafts and no word from Apex

Mistakes: Here are the two most frustrating. The others were just annoying (like chipped powder coat).

• The LS motor mounts interfered with the stock LS3 alternator location (and the low-mounted AC compressor). Apex redesigned but delayed me about a month.
  • The rear knuckle was welded too closely to the strut so I wasn't able to fit all the bolts onto the hub/bearing mount.Something that should have been caught in fabrication.

Terrible Customer Service: Dealing with Apex / Ohm is an absolute nightmare. Slow and vague responses. Contradictory stories. Frequent excuses. No way to contact via phone.

Bottom Line: I'm actually happy with the suspension and don't fault Apex for the design issues along the way. I knew it was a new design when I placed my order. However, Apex is easily the most frustrating vendor I've worked with (and I spent 6 months trying to get Retro-spec to send me my parts). My build has been delayed at several key points and I spend way too much time/effort fighting to get Apex's attention.

I have the rear end kit. Everything fitted in fine, albeit the diff needed a little "persuasion".

But still waiting on axles. Basically getting the exact same runaround you are.

I've called, texted, emailed, facebook, instagram and still getting nowhere. Last I heard I was getting them by end of August at the latest -  but no go.

I'm at a point of looking for a partial refund and getting the axles specs to someone else. 

Thanks for the write up.  Honest accounts of customer experience with a company are extremely valuable to potential customers.

I have been hearing of negative experiences with Apex for quite some time, and it is disappointing.  Some of the items they have made are very cool, a few are going on my build.  It is just too bad they cannot seem to get the customer service end up to speed.

Bummer, it seems design wise they were among the forefront.

Manufacturing problems aside, I wonder if it is a case of being overwhelmed and refusing to hire staff, or if it is a case of having margins so small they can't afford to.

@Zetsaz for consideration.

Edited by seattlejester

This is honestly tragic. I was considering them mostly for the front and rear control arms. I don't want to burn through tires waiting to correct rear toe in particular. Their control arm designs, especially for the rear are preferable to me over the T3 offerings. May just hold off and see if they figure things out, someone else fills the void, or T3 comes out with an offering closer to the Apex rear arms. 

Robbo got a response from Ohm through personal Facebook, 8/26 apparently, thread linked above.  Might be worth a shot.  Maybe point him to this thread, so he can explain.  If he's buried with work he might not really be aware of how bad things look, at least on this forum.