HybridZ

240Z Tire Sizes - 195/70 or 205/70

rbohl

I have an early 1971 240Z with a stock suspension and American Racing 14"x7" mesh wheels.  I am presently running 195/70R14 Goodyear Eagle tires that have aged out and need replacement.  The Goodyears have a slightly smaller diameter than the original tires so the revs are higher than originally intended (inaccurate speedo as well).  I'd like to go to a slightly larger tire to "correct" the speedo.  A 205/70R14 would fit the bill except that I've heard that with early cars they may rub when making turns.  I don't want to do any body mods as I'd like to keep the car stock.  Does anyone have experience with the 205s on their '71 cars? 

If you don't get the information you need here on HybridZ, I'd suggest checking on ClassicZCar.com.  Those guys are more into stock restorations and original-type mods and repairs.

Besides different tire sizes, have you looked into the possibility of swapping your speedo gear in the trans?  That might be a cheaper option.  There are also vendors that offer speedo gear converters, in case you can't find the internal speedometer gear you need for your specific application/transmission.