HybridZ

Opinions on advancing stock cam timing by 4 degrees

Coelocanth81

Hello everyone,

I'm tuning up a stock L28 in a '76 280z, and I've noticed my cam timing has *slightly* retarded due to chain wear (maybe about 1 degree, but not much). I'm considering advancing the cam timing to the next dowel hole to advance the cam timing 4 degrees ahead of its current position (which would bring it to about 3 degrees advanced of TDC timing. 

Has anyone done this? I'm not expecting a dramatic improvement, but this tired old engine never sees over 5000 RPM, so I'm comfortable with the altered powerband dynamic. I'm mostly just wanting to confirm that this change won't create a piston/valve clearance issue. Thanks everyone!

Tom

It will move your torque peak to lower RPM which is probably good, for an old engine.  It makes the engine feel more powerful since most people don't use the high end of the rev range of their engines.

Tony D has written some stories about using it as a tuning tool.  There's room for the valves, the engine interference range is not that close for a stock cam.

Here's a more "official" writeup about it - 

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4706/~/advancing-%2F-retarding-a-camshaft

Edited by NewZed