HybridZ

LS2 with working EVAP

I decided to keep the EVAP system on my LS2 swap to avoid the gas fumes in my garage. I thought I would share my experience in case others wanted to try the same thing. Overall, it was fairly simple.

I got my LS2 from a 2005 Pontiac GTO so I just went ahead and bought the following for a 2005 GTO:

• EVAP Purge Solenoid (relocated to the firewall)
  • EVAP Vent Solenoid (inside the hatch area, where the Datsun charcoal canister was)
  • Charcoal canister (mounted near the gas tank under the car)
  • GM MAP sensor (for the fuel tank pressure)

Here’s how I put this together (if I missed something, feel free to let me know):

• I have a Tanks, Inc. fuel tank so I had one NPT vent fitting and a small vent on the fuel pump.
  • I used the NPT vent fitting (with a tee) for the filler neck vent and the charcoal canister.
  • The charcoal canister has an output for the EVAP vent and one to the motor. I just ran a fuel hose from the canister to the purge valve at the motor.
  • At the motor, I used the GM purge solenoid, mounted at the firewall, then sent it to the throttle body.
  • The tricky part was the fuel tank pressure sensor. In the 2005 GTO it is built into the fuel pump. I realized the tank pressure sensor uses the same 5V signal as a MAP sensor and guessed that the ECU wouldn’t know the difference, which worked out.
  • I attached the MAP sensor to the fuel pump vent with a short peice of tubing.
  • Wired everything up to the ECU.

I know it’s a bit of a “can I make this work” exercise but it is fun to know it can work.