HybridZ

Bathurst record.

tir33d

I just raced at Bathurst in Australia with my highly modified 280zx.

Mixed weekend with a 5 sec PB for qualifying. Racing was a bit too serious for my liking over the hill in race 1. Race 2 managed to snap another drive shaft. 
Race 3 from rear of grid was awesome. 
New PB 3 seconds better again. 
2m18.7 man I’m happy!

video is TV coverage of practice708B453B-F206-4E11-A08D-C022025FAD57.png

03B72DB0-5409-4D0E-94BE-BEFC46A223AB.jpeg

Edited by tir33d
Link

That noise was entirely 3rd gear related? Seemed to be happening regardless of gear. I had a similar one on my car, could only hear on decel. Turned out my driveshaft AND CV bolts had loosened. I safety wired the CVs and double nutted the driveshaft and haven't heard it since, but I'm just autocrossing, so not nearly as much chance to hear things like that.

Can you add more hood vents? Under hood air looks like a problem for you. 167 mph on Conrod. Very impressive, and agree with Richard, nice job resisting the lift at the kink! 

In the sim-racing world, it's a toss up for me between Nordschleife and Bathurst for me. My two favorites. Hope to some day get there and drive something, probably a rental Kia around it. Inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing.

My 3.25 ratio is rarely used, I am actually gonna re-lash the gears this time as I forget tooeach time I use it. 
I have been waiting for some new vents from the USA for 3 months now. They should arrive soon I hope. 
bathurst is a hard track to build confidence at, zero room for error for over half of the track. 
pretty proud of not lifting for the kink too!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 260DET said:

If I was doing a LS swap again a dual clutch transmission would be on the list for sure. Kits are becoming available for the LS too, faster easier shifting and less stress on the drive train.

I'm planning on using the BMW DCT in a street car build.  I weighed the costs of it against a T56 and the heavy duty 5 speeds transmissions and it was comparable.  With the right ECU you can automate downshifts with throttle blip and all.  Amazing what parts are becoming available for our cars.

Really cool to see a Z banging around Bathurst with GT3 and V8 Supercars in the mix.  Go team Z!

Cary

Unfortunately in my part of the world Jon this DCT gear costs twice as much, of course I could get a certain make of car that has DCT stock, that's a thought??????

Cary, that 280ZX has a massive roll cage particularly around the A pillars, I don't know all the detail but I'm suggesting that it's rigidity trades weight for grip and comes out in front lap time wise. At Bathurst lap times are made or lost along the top of the mountain where large gonads + a tight predictable chassis count.

Edited by 260DET