HybridZ

Clock repair

I also took my clock apart ('73 240Z), cleaned and oiled it (very carefully) and it worked great for about a year keeping perfect time, but now it's losing about 10 minutes a week, so I think it's due for another cleaning. That clock had not worked at all for close to 15 years when I pulled it, cleaned and lubed it, so it's possible to revive these things, assuming the electric motor still runs.

Don't recall the internals for the clocks on the later years; but like the others have recommended, it's not a difficult process to disassemble these old clocks to clean and lubricate them, and get them working again.  Make sure you use a very light lubricant specifically for clock and watch mechanisms.

You can also gut the clock housing, and replace the spring internals with a modern digital clock mechanism...either battery or 12V operated.  Very cheap upgrade, and very reliable.  I recall a few discussions on ClassicZcar.com along these lines, as @jonbill suggested.

• 3 months later...