HybridZ

Measuring Driveshaft Length in Swap

1980280ZXVQ35

I have a VQ35DE swap (engine/transmission) in a 280ZX and I'm trying to measure the driveshaft length I need. Typically it would be measured with the slip yoke pulled out 3/4" from the output shaft, for suspension travel, but since this is IRS the suspension travel does move the position of the rear end. So would I measure with the slip yoke inset all the way until it stops? Can someone confirm if on the 350Z, how far the driveshaft slip yoke goes into the transmission output shaft? 

i dont have the same swap as you but when i did a swap in my zx i explained to the driveshaft shop that the rear-end doesn't move and they took my fixed measurements and made it so the slip yoke goes half way in. this way when you install it, you can slid it all the way in 1st, then pull it out to mate with the rear-end. if you make the driveshaft length with the yoke fully seated, you would probably fight with it when you lift the back up to meet with the rear-end .

2 hours ago, G-Tech said:

i dont have the same swap as you but when i did a swap in my zx i explained to the driveshaft shop that the rear-end doesn't move and they took my fixed measurements and made it so the slip yoke goes half way in. this way when you install it, you can slid it all the way in 1st, then pull it out to mate with the rear-end. if you make the driveshaft length with the yoke fully seated, you would probably fight with it when you lift the back up to meet with the rear-end .

Yeah that makes sense, I just wonder how far the slip yoke needs to be inserted onto the output shaft. I actually have a driveshaft that I test fit and the slip yoke is about 1" from bottoming out, I just wonder if this is too far out. 

Thank you, 

• 1 month later...