HybridZ

Thoughts on this Limited Slip Setup

Whitley_280z_2+2

Got some diff clunk :)  Pretty common thing to hear from a modified Z apparently. It is probably a combination of axles and the differential internals so I started researching some options and would love some advice / opinions. 

There seems to be some great options on the market right now for a LSD and CV's in an S30 like the 8.8, TTT, and Apex stuff. However, some of these options are way expensive for this build and they all require a good deal of modification. With that in mind, I wanted to get some thoughts on this sub $1000 setup while avoiding modifying rear suspension, brakes, mounts, etc. It seems the normal route would be to use a Quaife/OBX/KAAZ/87-89 300zxT LSD center section and then the 300zxT axles. With these becoming more and more rare, I thought it would be neat to see what else is available.

CV Axles - I've been looking at the Datsun Restomods axles and they look great for the 300hp/350 ft/lbs range. 

Limited Slip Differential - 

I found this company (Racingdiffs) that says they make an LSD that will fit in the S30 series R200 longnose for $325:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-LSD-conversion-set-Fits-Nissan-S13-S14-S15-R200-Differential/264258301302?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130149%26meid%3Dc57b60f5e04541b6983b2090218b41b3%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D184427075331%26itm%3D264258301302%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLCvipPairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed it will fit in a longnose R200 but it still seems a little sketchy because it says it will fit in a S13, S14, and S15. Worst case it would not fit in the housing or have 30 splines. I think best case would be needing to shim the ring gear bolt holes. 

Has anybody tried one of these LSD center sections? Does anybody have any thoughts before I try one out? What are the chances of the LSD not physically fitting inside the longnose R200? Would it be worth trying out this unit over the $900 or so MFactory?

Thanks for any input!

Edited by Whitley_280z_2+2

Good stuff on the internet.  Seems like generally the problem with these modifications is that the parts that they use to grip weren't designed to grip.  They just create a way to jam the diff locked using parts that aren't supposed to be jammed.  If the design was good the auto makers would use it.  Fewer parts is cheaper and auto makers are all about making parts cheaper.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/opinions-wanted-on-this-lsd-conversion/142829/page1/

I asked about that same diff center section here a few weeks ago, and the community informed me that it was "garbage". I have no reason to refute the claim, but no evidence to support it. I would say however, the price is not indicative of a quality product for something that is "new". 

Also, i had clunk on numerous occasions with my 300ft-lb L28et setup. The first time was the front diff mount. After replacing it the second time, i went for a solid mount the third. The next "clunk" was the OEM driveshaft U-joints wearing out from the torque. After the second time I replaced that, i ended up going with a custom $300 driveshaft with large spicer U-joints. Added weight, but i was desperate for something that would last for more than 6-months. 

Third time was the R200 spider gears shattering during a clutch drop. Replaced it with a Z31 3.7.

I was shocked that my halfshafts never wore out over 10 years... they too have irreplaceable u-joints. 

2 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

Also, i had clunk on numerous occasions with my 300ft-lb L28et setup. The first time was the front diff mount.

I have a Ron Tyler mount and the one rubber mount on the bottom. It shouldn’t make a noise even if the bottom one is shot right? I have a new driveshaft and the half shafts look good so I’m thinking it’s gotta be in the diff.

The diff is tell-tale. It will sound mechanical, like grinding gears or whining. If you feel a “thud” whenever you hit the gas, I would check to see if your diff mount has play. 

if the bottom mount is shot, it will keep pushing on the strap until there is play. For me, the “thud” noise was the play. It was the diff suddenly rising under torque Until it had nowhere to go. If your bottom diff mount is worn and has too much play, your driveshaft u-joints will soon fail due to non-axial load. If that is the case, consider getting it fixed soon. 

As New Zed said, that style device forces lock in places that aren't designed to be loaded. The reason nobody has any evidence that they are garbage is that similar style devices have been around for a long time, and been found wanting. I'd be interested to see how many of those they sold.

They'll fit no problem, I've mentioned on threads here before that the R200 internals are pretty similar between the 280z, 280zx, s13, s14 and s15.  the 280z, zx, and s13 share the same center section. With these products, you're only buying the metal rectangle, not the center section, so there's very little compatibility concerns. 

This is a case of don't waste your money. PhantomGrip is a "better known" version of this product, and has lots of reviews. They are "useful" in applications where no true LSD options exist, but for the Nissan R200, there's LOTS of options. 

7 hours ago, Ben280 said:

As New Zed said, that style device forces lock in places that aren't designed to be loaded. The reason nobody has any evidence that they are garbage is that similar style devices have been around for a long time, and been found wanting. I'd be interested to see how many of those they sold.

They'll fit no problem, I've mentioned on threads here before that the R200 internals are pretty similar between the 280z, 280zx, s13, s14 and s15.  the 280z, zx, and s13 share the same center section. With these products, you're only buying the metal rectangle, not the center section, so there's very little compatibility concerns. 

This is a case of don't waste your money. PhantomGrip is a "better known" version of this product, and has lots of reviews. They are "useful" in applications where no true LSD options exist, but for the Nissan R200, there's LOTS of options. 

Your responses were really helpful when I was struggling with the same topic. Hope my message didn’t come off insincere. I believe and trust these units are garbage, I just don’t have first hand experience. I didn’t want that to come across that I didn’t believe y’all :) 

I ended up going with the super 8.8 for the L28et powered 71’. $400 including shipping from a junkyard in Oregon. I got an aluminum casting 3.331 LSD from a 15’ mustang GT automatic. It only weighs 79lbs! My recollection of the long nose r200 is 80lbs. Not bad for a unit that should Handle much more torque.

F25410F9-9DC0-463A-8349-AF228498888E.jpeg

10 hours ago, Ben280 said:

Ok thanks everyone for the input! In wrapping up, are there any options in between (price wise) Mfactor and this I should look at? I really like the feel of the stock suspension rear end for the 280Z because it's just kinda neat so I don't think we're ready to go 8.8. I was looking at other S13 LS center sections but couldn't find anything for better value than the Mfactory. 

6 hours ago, Nelsonian said:

I just received an OS Giken 1.5 way unit two weeks ago which took 7.5 months to arrive (Covid 19?). Definitely not inexpensive, but very well made and quality . 

Super quiet in operation, in terms of noise its no louder than the torsen I replaced and no clunking like other clutch LSDs I've had. No break in needed. The $ for the diff oil is expensive also!

19 hours ago, Nelsonian said:

I just received an OS Giken 1.5 way unit two weeks ago which took 7.5 months to arrive (Covid 19?). Definitely not inexpensive, but very well made and quality . 

A fine choice if I may say so, you won't be disappointed! 

I've run one in my Z for a number of years, road use and on track too - can't fault it 

The OS diff oil is expensive and with the current USD > GBP exchange rate I pay about the same as you have for two litres 

22 hours ago, Whitley_280z_2+2 said:

Thanks that helps! So what I’m hearing is Mfactory is the cheapest unit that isn’t a rip off. 

Speaking specifically to your point, OBX makes a unit that is usually $300-500 on ebay. I believe it is a cheaper version of the QUAIF helical. I have not used it myself, so I will let the other community members comment on quality. You could also do a search on here. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-LSD-For-1991-98-240SX-Silvia-200SX-Europe-Only-84-89-300ZX-RWD-R200-Axle/123918532225?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Df466532a0b184e42858fc3626ec5e0d7%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D203171784905%26itm%3D123918532225%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DOBX+Racing+Sports&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Adb80d284-21d7-11eb-851e-16f24dd4a5b6|parentrq%3Aa87e5c4b1750ad4b0d02464effebaeb4|iid%3A1

If I understand correctly, the stock S15 type R (only sold in Japan) had an OEM helical LSD for their short-nose R200. Anyone know if the center section can be swapped into a 280Z R200? I am concerned if you need the S15 stub shafts, or if the 280z half-shafts will slip right in.