HybridZ

Electric power steering, use complete donor column?

Searching for those with experience using a compete donor EPS column.  There are plenty of well documented conversions but they combine portions of both the stock column and donor column to make a hybrid column.  I have Tilton pedals so the stock pedal box will be not used.  Custom support brackets need to be made so why not just make them fit a compete donor column?  Also, plan on a quick disconnect hub for removable steering wheel so there will not be much of the stock column left if were to go the hybrid column route.  My first thought is looking for a EPS column with similar firewall to steering wheel distance as my 280Z.  Would be nice if the donor columns proven for use in the hybrid conversions could work as stand alone by themselves.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

1 hour ago, fusion said:

Any reason you aren't considering an off the shelf EPS solution?

Looking at Silvermine's EPS kit.  It uses an ATV electric motor from what I gather.  That is not necessarily a bad thing, just not OEM proven reliability.  Which off shelf solution do you suggest?

My knowledge on EPS stuff is limited though eager learn.  Looks like the popular OEM swap units, either those that operate in fail safe mode or need a 3rd party controller, are too short thus only good for hybrid adaptation into columns.  

I had been looking at the unit from Datsun Restomods.  I had emailed the owner and that kit uses a Toyota motor.  It's supposed to be launched this year.  

Actually, I just went to the site and now it says spring 2021.  Might be worth contacting him:

https://datsunrestomods.com/products/coming-soon-electric-power-steering-kit

Saturn Vue motors are popular. @Ben280 has one in his car that is a very clean and simple install. My first set I made a hybrid, because I wanted a column that could collapse in an accident. For the second set I figured out you could do it much cheaper if you just cut and weld where you need and even easier if you ignore the safety features, granted I wouldn't run that unless you were running harnesses.

Thanks guys.

Becoming more confident as I continuing to read the vast info available about the EPS swaps. 

As of now leaning toward the Vue/Equinox column with Bruno controller and either using stock upper column or aftermarket.  Don't know if I'd like the "fail safe" mode with it's flat constant assist especially at high speed.  A variable assist would be best.  Wonder if there is a way to custom program variable assist based on VVS signal?  Need to spend some time reading all the info on Vintage Mustang forums.

Don't know if it's relevant that my front suspension is slightly different than stock Z (2015 Mustang spindle front suspension with 275 front tires) when it comes to how assist is dialed in for kits like Silvermine.  It's a variable but is it large enough to make any real difference...

Picked a horse in the EPS race.  Went down to the local u-pick yard and grabbed a 2007 Saturn Vue column for $65.  Will order up a Bruno controller.  Now just need to decide whether to use the OEM upper column or start fresh with an aftermarket column.  That all depends on the ease of adapting a quick disconnect hub for the steering wheel on both columns

2ABFE076-2916-49EA-9A10-AE9B1A96392F.jpeg

• Like 1

Haven't had the time to read through all the numerous posts on different forums.  Grannyknot has a Vue/Equinox swap and he has posted his favorable experience with high performance driving setting.  Maybe he can chime in with more detail on his experience with the Vue swap

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I love the wreckers, hard to beat a great price like that.

Agreed.  Now for a few more dollars hoping to have a great system.

I have the Saturn VUE eps and the Bruno controller in my other ride. I have really no complaints with the entire system. Easy wiring diagram from Bruno. I put my eps into a GM tilt column. There are several companies that now carry the correct splined couplers that help in the adaptation. I have done all the work myself and have less than $90 in the whole electrical system with a $75 swap meet column. The return to center in not  particularly a problem and I get used to it after a few miles of driving. This is with the power assist turned  turned down low. It is nice to be able to dial in the amount of assist that you want but like a lot of other accessories one you set it you will probably not readjust it for a long time. I would want to drive a vehicle with an eps in the fail safe condition to see just how much assist that it provides before I went in that direction.

Bruno makes a controller that is automatic based on I think a GPS module feeding the VSS, but he didn't recommend it for sport driving since the rate would get easier as you braked for a corner making it harder to modulate linearly. I have heard additional caster can help with centering somewhat.

The failsafe setting on the toyota ones are constant on. At speed you hardly need any assist so that was unappealing to me personally.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:19 PM, 280Z-LS3 said:

Grannyknot has a Vue/Equinox swap and he has posted his favorable experience with high performance driving setting.  Maybe he can chime in with more detail on his experience with the Vue swap

I'm not sure how much I can add,  I have about $150 total in my power steering setup, did everything myself.  I don't remember running into any real problems in putting the parts together, it works very well and I'm pleased with how easy it is to forget that it is even there.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, Cruzzar said:

There are several companies that now carry the correct splined couplers that help in the adaptation.

Could you possibly name a couple of those companies that carry splined couplers?  Those would have made my installation even easier.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Grannyknot, sorry for the delayed response. I have been out of town and did not see your request for a supplier of EPS parts. The one that comes to mind is 

ePowerSteering.com – Adapting Electric Power Steering in Your Vehicle. These guys have couplers, brackets and other various parts for making installations easier.  I can't recall the other company that had various parts at the moment. If it comes to me I will post it.

I also used the vue setup with the bruno box, and my dad uses one of the toyota ones in failsafe mode. We both used bits of the original column though. Both seem to work fine, with the toyota one just not being adjustable, but the failsafe assist seems to be about right anyway. The vue seems to be a little biased to make turning right easier than left, but there is trims on the control box to fix it if it ever was enough to bother. The lack of self centering has never really bothered me either.

18 hours ago, Cruzzar said:

Grannyknot, sorry for the delayed response. I have been out of town and did not see your request for a supplier of EPS parts. The one that comes to mind is 

ePowerSteering.com – Adapting Electric Power Steering in Your Vehicle. These guys have couplers, brackets and other various parts for making installations easier.  I can't recall the other company that had various parts at the moment. If it comes to me I will post it.

Thank you, they have some nice couplers and U joints, their kits are a bit pricey but that's why we make our own

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 10:14 PM, 280Z-LS3 said:

Looking at Silvermine's EPS kit.  It uses an ATV electric motor from what I gather.  That is not necessarily a bad thing, just not OEM proven reliability.  Which off shelf solution do you suggest?

My knowledge on EPS stuff is limited though eager learn.  Looks like the popular OEM swap units, either those that operate in fail safe mode or need a 3rd party controller, are too short thus only good for hybrid adaptation into columns.  

I installed the Silvermines EPS kit with their GPS speed sensor setup on my wife's 240Z and I am really impressed with it!  It works great, it is clean & looks like it was made for the car as it is hard to know it has been modified at all (I had to angle the camera up so you can see the electric PS, otherwise you would never see it in the two pictures below), and the car drives like a new car.  You can parallel park the Z with one hand! and the response is very nice at higher speeds with the GPS sensor enabling it to track like any modern car, very smooth at any speed and obviously quicker when parking but almost too good as I am OG and now her car drives like a new Z car. I do not have any regrets for that car and do highly recommend it.  This car has custom kick panels with separate tweeters and mid-bass speakers so we mounted the GPS up high around the firewall out of sight but still accessible if needed.  Only thing was not clear is that they did not provide a install manual but after talking to them their pictures online show all of the connections, etc. labeled and highlighted, so their manual is just looking at the pictures online;; it was easy as it was well engineered so no mods needed at all.  It goes in fast but it took a little time to find the place to mount the GPS sensor module.

On my other mild 240Z with a 3.0 liter I am going with the Apex shorter steering arms as I just want to see how well I can go with stock as I personally like the more manual feel, but the Silverline EPS is a cool setup. 

https://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-240z/power-steering-kit-electric/electric-power-steering-kit-for-240z-260z-280z-datsun-1970-1978-s30

IMG_7027.jpg

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

Edited by primaz