HybridZ

Converting an l28 to an l28et?

SightsSet

I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't for the life of me find any info on it. First off, is there any reason it shouldn't be done? And if not, what all is required? I can't find any l28et motors around me nor turbo 280zx donor cars to buy. I can, however, find relatively cheap NA 280zx donors. I know the l28s have a higher cr, but it doesn't seem like too big of a deal. What other parts and considerations are there?

I turbocharged a stock bottom end L24 and L28. The L24 I blew due to detonation. Pistons cracked, and I was only running 8psi.

the L28, also running 8psi, ran for about a year before the rings gave out and I lost compression and oil.

i don’t recommend it... it leads to an unreliable short-lived engine. You really need to get the turbo pistons in there and lower the CR if you want it to survive. From what I remember, the turbo pistons have the rings lower to help keep them cooler. I can’t recall the precise reason, but the stock NA rings just don’t last long running boost. Obviously, you have the option to go custom forged pistons as well.

as a comparison, I put in an stock L28ET bottom end which then ran 300lbs of torque for 5 years without a problem. 500cc injectors, SDS RFI, intercooled, T3/T4 hybrid, 16psi. 

In my opinion, the aggregation and time lost in pulling the motor is not worth gambling with the NA pistons. 

I'm going to be (re)building the engine either way, so I'm not opposed to swapping internals at all. L28s are just easier to source around me then l28ets, so I'm just trying to figure out if there's any reason I NEED an l28et rather than building an l28 into an l28et.

Hi there

I'm getting ready to rebuild my turbo engine and need some recommendation on rings. I used Hastings in my last 2 builds and in both (different blocks) I had some blowby. My first build (ITM pistons, Hastings rings, Clevite rod bearings, hole is piston #2 running 16psi) had worn rings after 6 or 7 thousand miles, made sure I had the turbo rings on the 2nd build (factory turbo pistons) and will have the checked when I tear it down.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Zlost

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/21/2020 at 6:31 AM, Zlost said:

Hi there

I'm getting ready to rebuild my turbo engine and need some recommendation on rings. I used Hastings in my last 2 builds and in both (different blocks) I had some blowby. My first build (ITM pistons, Hastings rings, Clevite rod bearings, hole is piston #2 running 16psi) had worn rings after 6 or 7 thousand miles, made sure I had the turbo rings on the 2nd build (factory turbo pistons) and will have the checked when I tear it down.

Thanks

Simon

have you pulled the stock L28et pistons yet? Curious to hear your impressions. I don’t have a recommendation on a specific ring material. Are you considering forged pistons? Since piston ring performance on a turbo engine is not specific to Nissan/Lseries, you could ask some of the experienced aftermarket piston suppliers like JE and see what they think. I believe the degree to which you experience pre-detonation (knocking) is the main culprit in short piston/ring life on an L28et. The higher the boost, the more ring wear you will experience but it should not be drastic unless you are knocking

I have not opened it up yet, working on getting my garage built and want to drive it in when done (not push in) I hope to have it done in a month or so.

I agree, I must have been knocking really bad, I will be using another tuner this time around. I have another F54 block that I want to get sonic tested to see how far I can take it, they I will know what pistons to get. I plant to get the rings & pistons quoted this time around, and with a proper tune it should last this time.

• 3 weeks later...