HybridZ

Steel Datsun used for transverse link mounts?

280Z-LS3

I butchered up a pair of transverse link mounts at an attempt to design some cross bracing.  Did not go well as expected so have a replacement set on the way.  While employing my "hack skills" noticed that Datsun used some hard alloy.  Anyone know what type of steel Datsun used and recommended/required welding and rod that should be used?

1 hour ago, 280Z-LS3 said:

I butchered up a pair of transverse link mounts at an attempt to design some cross bracing.  Did not go well as expected so have a replacement set on the way.  While employing my "hack skills" noticed that Datsun used some hard alloy.  Anyone know what type of steel Datsun used and recommended/required welding and rod that should be used?

just to be clear, you are referring to the two rear cross members that mount the rear control arms to the body? I believe the transverse link mount is the technical term, but just wanted to be sure.

the front one, I just recently stitch welded. I also repaired a crack that literally ran down the collar that is in contact with bushing. 

I used a .023 Carbon steel MIG welding wire with 25-75gas. I had no problem welding. The fusion on the crack repair was such that you can’t see any hint of a weld or crack, so I know the metallurgy worked. 

feel free to take a picture of the specific segment of the part you had trouble cutting so we can be sure we are discussing the same. 

A6641F8F-9961-4DB8-A3E9-3BE920DDAE6C.jpeg

Yes, the transverse mount brackets are the two flat 3.5" wide brackets to attach the rear transverse mount to the frame.

I have not tested the transverse mount metal with punch or any other method so not sure if it is made of the same hard steel as the brackets.

• 1 month later...

I did a  PMI and hardness test on a bracket  from a 1972.  The Rockwell test result is 34-40 HRC,  a chalange for some hacksaw blades. The PMI test looks like recycled material. Zn 0.023, Cu .11, Fe 97.623, Mn 0.83, Cr 0.043, Ti 0.09 %, All other elements  are below level of detection. The PMI gun (Niton XL 2 Gold XRF) will not pick up Carbon.