HybridZ

S130 Turbo swap Checklist

Defbysunrise

Hello fellow Z drivers! I have a 1981 280zx n/a and recently purchased a turbo parts car for it (1982). My plan is to begin the swap soon but I wanted to make sure all my ducks are in a line here, as it seems like everywhere I look I get different answers, SO:

To do this properly I am under the assumption I need:

•the turbo motor

•turbo harness and ECU

•the power rack and pinion (for clearance)

•the turbo subframe (whole sub frame or just the cross member?)

•the turbo fuel pump (I was told they're higher output and that this is mandatory, again would love input here)

•the steering column and/or the proper spacer (apparently the R/P will bind up the u-joint if I don't swap the column?)

•the front struts (assuming that the entire subframe must be swapped, AND assuming that they are in fact entirely different struts, which Ive yet to confirm)

Am I missing anything? Are my facts horribly wrong? I'd like this swap to go as smooth as possible so any and all info in this matter will be helpful! 

i dont see why you would need to swap crossmember, the motors are the same as far as bolting to the car goes. the suspension is the same, no need to change that either. i think the hardest thing is going to be swapping the harness. 

the rearend is possibly different. turbo cars are R200's with 3:54 gears. you will have to find out based on what exact model you have to know what rearend you have. the CV joint style halfshaft in the turbo car is much better. for that you will also need the outer stub axles that mate up to it. Bottom line is i think you will want to swap the entire rear subframe, thats if your parts car has all that still. 

ive never done it, just speaking of my experience with s130 chassis so hopefully someone who has done it will confirm my beliefs 

good luck!

5 hours ago, G-Tech said:

i dont see why you would need to swap crossmember

I'm only swapping the crossmember so I can use the Rack and pinion steering instead of the recirculating ball; I had forgotten about the CV's though!

I know Nissan didn't trust their manuals to handle the turbo (for whatever reason) and went with the borg warner for the turbo models as of 82. The tranny in my 82 is blown, but likely repairable: should I definitely do that immediately with the rest of the swap or should I just keep my current nissan manual and repair and install the borg warner later? Personally I've never had any issues from my 5 speed but I also don't really rag on it much

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 8:10 PM, Defbysunrise said:

Hello fellow Z drivers! I have a 1981 280zx n/a and recently purchased a turbo parts car for it (1982). My plan is to begin the swap soon but I wanted to make sure all my ducks are in a line here, as it seems like everywhere I look I get different answers, SO:

•the turbo motor

•turbo harness and ECU  - You might want to swap the whole harness so it plugs into the efi circuit and the boost gauge, oil level gauge etc. 

•the turbo subframe (whole sub frame or just the cross member?) - Just the crossmember is all you need.

•the turbo fuel pump (I was told they're higher output and that this is mandatory, again would love input here)  I would buy a bosch 044 or modify yours for an in-tank setup

•the steering column and/or the proper spacer (apparently the R/P will bind up the u-joint if I don't swap the column?) - swap the column

•the front struts (assuming that the entire subframe must be swapped, AND assuming that they are in fact entirely different struts, which Ive yet to confirm) - no need for this

Am I missing anything? Are my facts horribly wrong? I'd like this swap to go as smooth as possible so any and all info in this matter will be helpful! 

- oil cooler and lines,  valance for oil cooler ( it has cut-outs in it),  ignition coil mount (it's turned 90 degrees from non-turbo),  boost sensor is mounted on the shock tower,  boost gauge, oil-temp gauge, I think the 82 also has better rear calipers and master cylinder.  Don't forget to get the exhaust elbow that bolts on to the down-pipe.  If it's a manual trans, the turbo trans is slightly stronger than the N/A.  

On 12/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, Defbysunrise said:

I'm only swapping the crossmember so I can use the Rack and pinion steering instead of the recirculating ball; I had forgotten about the CV's though!

I know Nissan didn't trust their manuals to handle the turbo (for whatever reason) and went with the borg warner for the turbo models as of 82. The tranny in my 82 is blown, but likely repairable: should I definitely do that immediately with the rest of the swap or should I just keep my current nissan manual and repair and install the borg warner later? Personally I've never had any issues from my 5 speed but I also don't really rag on it much

If you keep it stock, the N/A trans is fine, as soon as you turn up the boost and drive it hard, they won't last.  I am on #3, but I don't drive it nice either. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 9:10 PM, Defbysunrise said:

•the turbo motor

•turbo harness and ECU

•the turbo subframe (whole sub frame or just the cross member?)

•the turbo fuel pump (I was told they're higher output and that this is mandatory, again would love input here)

•the steering column and/or the proper spacer (apparently the R/P will bind up the u-joint if I don't swap the column?)

•the front struts (assuming that the entire subframe must be swapped, AND assuming that they are in fact entirely different struts, which Ive yet to confirm)

Hello,

I'm planing the same project, building a 79, currently it's a n/A automatic, when all is said and done Turbo 5 speed intercooler and finally Megasquirt Ii V3.0.My first challenge will be removing wiring harness from 82 Turbo parts car.