HybridZ

Switch from 2 wire to 1 wire oil pressure sender LS1 swap

Hello! I am putting a LS1 into a 78 280z. I have the oil adapter from JCI. My original sender had 2 wires which included the fuel pump shut off. I am buying a new sender and would like to get the single wire unit. Can I simply wire the oil pressure side to the gauge and remove the fuel side? 

I am not using any of the old fuel wiring; putting in a new new relay for the fuel pump. 

B77023CA-2691-42E2-8C2F-0BAD98E16197.jpeg

Ok correct me if I’m wrong but you are going to be installing the JCI sender down by the oil filter right? If that’s the case can you just leave the stock oil pressure sensor and then wire the JCI one to the gauge. That way the ECU will still know the oil pressure. 

I got rid of the original oil pressure sensor and installed an auto meter one in its place. Then I just had to have my ecu programmer “disable” that function. 

12 hours ago, Whitley_280z_2+2 said:

Ok correct me if I’m wrong but you are going to be installing the JCI sender down by the oil filter right? If that’s the case can you just leave the stock oil pressure sensor and then wire the JCI one to the gauge. That way the ECU will still know the oil pressure. 

I got rid of the original oil pressure sensor and installed an auto meter one in its place. Then I just had to have my ecu programmer “disable” that function. 

Yes the Datsun sender will be down by the filter. That one will send signal to the gauge. 

The LS1 unit will remain in place and run to the ecm. 

I just don’t know if a one wire sender will go with the factory gauge. I could just go with the duel unit but I won’t use the fuel side. 

12 hours ago, NewZed said:

If you disconnect the oil pressure switch on a 78 the fuel pump will run whenever the key is on.

Exactly right. I am not going to use any of the original fuel wiring or relays. That was why I was going to eliminate it out of the oil sender as well. 

The two pronged sender on your 78 is a combined switch and sensor.  Two devices in one.  One prong is the switch for the relay and the other is the pressure sensor for the gauge.  So you could use the sensor prong for the stick 78 gauge and leave the other disconnected.  You don't need to buy a new sending unit.

You might search the site and/or the internet for "ford inertia switch", it's a popular safety device around the modded car world.  Although the Nissan design is better for mechanical malfunctions like if a fuel hose pops off and the engine stops running.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, NewZed said:

The two pronged sender on your 78 is a combined switch and sensor.  Two devices in one.  One prong is the switch for the relay and the other is the pressure sensor for the gauge.  So you could use the sensor prong for the stick 78 gauge and leave the other disconnected.  You don't need to buy a new sending unit.

You might search the site and/or the internet for "ford inertia switch", it's a popular safety device around the modded car world.  Although the Nissan design is better for mechanical malfunctions like if a fuel hose pops off and the engine stops running.

The problem is I didn’t save the old sender. I ended buying another dual. I may wire the fuel cutoff into the new wiring.