HybridZ

My first Z car. Tribute to my dad

Die$eL

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the Z car scene. I've always been a Toyota fan and my dad was into Nissan. He has passed a few years ago. Since then I bought a R33 Skyline and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I sold that last week and will be fetching a 280ZX tomorrow. Its a bit of a barn find.

From what I could see its been parked for ages. It's been sprayed before and it looks to be a decent job. Couldnt tell much because of the thick dust on the car.

No rust and the body is straight. No idea whether it runs.

My plan is to first clean it up and assess what is there and whats needed.

I'm considering whether to keep it stock or to slap in a VQ35DE.

I'd appreciate any comments around which would bring in a higher value. Stock L28 or VQ35. I've found a crashed 350Z where the entire drivetrain, suspension etc. is intact. It looks like it went under a truck. So just the roof etc is gone.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-29 at 11.40.59.jpeg

depends how well it ends up running as is. chances are you will chase down a handful of little issues. in which case you mine as well go for the swap so that you can get to know it better and make things right. it will be a little faster also. Value wise i think going for the swap is going to be better too. it doesnt look like an original turbo car so there is not big value for it the way it is. older Z's are getting good money for original but i dont know anyone that specifically searches for an original 280zx. only turbo 280zx's are worth leaving as is, the rest are free to do whatever with in my opinion. and trying to make it a turbo model will be more work than the VQ35. 

good luck with it, it does look pretty solid from a quick pic that you have

Edited by G-Tech

Thanks all.

After washing it, I can see the condition is much worse than I thought. So, for now I will be doing a restore and once that is done i will consider the VQ. 

The major issues are:
- LOADS of overspray
- body filler on both doors
- body filler on both fenders
- the front has had a small tap and the surrounds for the headlights have been repaired with fibreglass. They did a bad job.

- lots of exposed wires in the engine bay.

The fenders are not a train smash coz I will be fitting fender flares. Not sure if that requires cutting of the metal but either way it will cover the imperfections on the fenders. 

If I can find some good doors I will replace them, else will cut out the problem area and weld in new metal.

I found these headlights. Thoughts on this? https://www.wantitall.co.za/automotive/7inch-led-headlight-for-datsun-240z-260z-280z-280zx-1970-78-h4-bulb-replacement__b085dghm1h