HybridZ

82 to 81 rear brake upgrade

Screwdriver

i have a 81 ZX Turbo that has small rear disc brake pads compared to an 82 ZX Turbo. Question- can I just take the calipers off the 82 with the larger pads and just bolt it on my 81? Is there anything else that needs to be done or is this a straight across bolt on up grade? I have an 82 Turbo 2+2 parts car I can use the calipers off of.

I know the rotors are different, the hat or center of the rotor for the 79-81 is much taller. You would have to change rotors and probably caliper brackets to make to swap. I have considered the same as I prefer the 82-83 caliper but my early brakes work fine so I haven't moved forward with the swap yet.

I really dont know but I would be interested to see. I would assume the caliper brackets would need to be changed as well, I know some part suppliers provide the caliper/bracket as a combo. If you try please update the thread, I would like to know. I will be getting into this in February myself.

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2020 at 5:41 PM, Wjbrooks11 said:

I really dont know but I would be interested to see. I would assume the caliper brackets would need to be changed as well, I know some part suppliers provide the caliper/bracket as a combo. If you try please update the thread, I would like to know. I will be getting into this in February myself.

Did it work?