Jump to content
HybridZ

curious to know what are the best L Series Transmission options now?


Recommended Posts

I read that Hoke Performance is no longer making his kit to adapt the 350Z 6 speed transmissions to the L series engines. 

 

I have two (2) 240Z's with 2.8 and 3.0 liter engines both with the rare Nissan Competition 5 Speed close synchro 5 speeds but not even sure if there are places that and rebuild those anymore if anything every happens to them?  I think Les Collins Racing all the way down in Australia may still work on the Nissan competition race boxes but not sure if anyone in the USA does? 

 

What are the options now for an L-series engines as far as transmissions?  I am just curious as both of my trannies are in good shape but curious as to what you guys are doing now if you have a performance L-series engine?

 

I saw this kit for the CD00A 6 speed for $4,750 but that requires a GPS speedo as there are no provisions for a manual speedo and you need to cut the stock transmission tunnel (not sure how much hacking that means? Also gear train noise prevalent with these trannies, not sure how loud or annoying that is? I used SPEC 1 clutch on my Nissan Comp 5 speeds and really like how they work for a street car, wondering how those work with the CD00A as they say the noise is different with different clutches? ).     https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/drivetrain/complete-cd00a-6-speed-swap-for-l-series-engines

 

What other transmission options are there for an L-series now?

 

 

Edited by primaz
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, madkaw said:

You could find a T-5 and send it to G -Force and shell out 3500$ and be good for 600hp . Bolts right up . Need an upgraded DS

so you mean a Borg Warner T5 transmission used in Fords will bolt right up to our Nissan L-series engines?  and then use G-Force Transmissions to build up their internal gear set https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp ?  Am I understanding you correctly? and what do you mean by DS? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewZed said:

This is a good one, but I don't think you can get new 240SX 5 speeds anymore.  Maybe you can if you find the right dealer.

 

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

 

I think that is why that full kit for $4750 is more of a true cost as it includes the 6 speed tranny but you still need to factor another $200-$500 for shipping so it is really more like $5350 most likely.  I think any good tranny will be around $5K when you are all done but will it be easily serviced in the future?  That G-force T5 could be a good option if that company stays in business so that the internals can always be rebuilt?  I love the Nissan Competition 5 speeds, my only worry is I am not sure what or where to go if I break it?  They shift so nice and really increase the response of the Z but are so rare nowadays...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, primaz said:

so you mean a Borg Warner T5 transmission used in Fords will bolt right up to our Nissan L-series engines?  and then use G-Force Transmissions to build up their internal gear set https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp ?  Am I understanding you correctly? and what do you mean by DS? 

T-5 was used in the 280zx turbo cars and some 300zx cars . G-Force may know of other models , but you need the bell housing from the turbo Z 

Drive shaft 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, madkaw said:

T-5 was used in the 280zx turbo cars and some 300zx cars . G-Force may know of other models , but you need the bell housing from the turbo Z 

Drive shaft 

Unfortunately, the T5 sold in the 280ZX turbo is not what is considered a "world class" T5 (technical term). What this means is that it is not the same as the universal T5's sold later in many Fords. I am certainly not an expert, but I suggest searching a bit on this gearbox. It seems some like it, but many are not big fans. 

 

It looks to me as well that the CD00A/0 is the best/only option at this time if you are looking for a tranny that still has manufacturer support. I am also looking into buying just the bell housing, and building the cross-member myself. Derek (the gentleman who designed the GodZilla bellhousing) is working on a BRZ transmission bellhousing too. That might be a good option for you once finished. the CD00A/9 is more of a must for us running high torque. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AydinZ71 said:


I retract my statement. There is no best. Apologies. 

 

My post was actually directed at primaz.  He never really defined what he wants a different transmission for.  So really it's just about options.  Best for what?  Sounds like mostly long term usage and maintenance, planning ahead.  Good idea.  Why I had three spares of various forms in my garage.

 

Once you get deeper in to it you have to worry about ratios also.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no transmission expert by any means but I do play one on TV.    As NewZed said the OP needs to define his goals. There are 4 options that I know of that would be considered better than stock.

 

The 240sx 5 speed with modified bell housing. The problem with this conversion is replacement parts are getting harder and harder to come by. There have been some tolerance issues with some of the aftermarket parts as well. I hated the gear ratio spread. 

 

One of the T5 options or a variant of them. I don't have any opinion on those other than they are fairly noisy and they only go to five:)

 

CD00A 6 speed with one of my conversion bell housings. The CD is a proven transmission and will take a ton of power. It is available brand new from Nissan for a very reasonable price. The biggest downside is you have to cut the existing mounts from the tunnel and for a lot of people that is a no-go. There also can be significant input shaft clatter with the clutch out and in neutral.  The biggest upside for me is it goes to 6 and Madkaw's only goes to 5. Seriously though for me it was all about the gear spread. 5th is 1;1. Think about it this way. My old knees would rather climb a ladder in 6 steps vs 5. The gear spread just seems to work really well for my style of street driving which is 0-50 as fast as I can. With the 4 speed I felt like I had to kill it in every gear to get any kind of acceleration. Now it is a much smoother proposition.

 

The Aisin TL70 6 speed which I'm currently developing a conversion bell housing for. It can't take the power that the CD00A can but it will fit the tunnel without any modifications. It is very plentiful on the used market since BRZ owners like to wreck their cars a lot as well as brand new from Subaru. The gear ratios are pretty close to the CD00A.  There is no definitive data on how much power it will take but from what I have read and some data from one of Godzillas customers I felt it could handle 375 to the wheels. I may be a little optimistic on that number but so much of the stress on a drivetrain comes from driving style and tire grip. I personally feel this transmission conversion will be a good choice for a lot of normally aspirated cars.  I'll know a lot more when I get the first one in my car to play with. If you opt for a used transmission it is probably going to be one of the cheaper options. I paid like $425.00 delivered to my door for a 2016 with less than 50K on it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Derek said:

I'm no transmission expert by any means but I do play one on TV.    As NewZed said the OP needs to define his goals. There are 4 options that I know of that would be considered better than stock.

 

The 240sx 5 speed with modified bell housing. The problem with this conversion is replacement parts are getting harder and harder to come by. There have been some tolerance issues with some of the aftermarket parts as well. I hated the gear ratio spread. 

 

One of the T5 options or a variant of them. I don't have any opinion on those other than they are fairly noisy and they only go to five:)

 

CD00A 6 speed with one of my conversion bell housings. The CD is a proven transmission and will take a ton of power. It is available brand new from Nissan for a very reasonable price. The biggest downside is you have to cut the existing mounts from the tunnel and for a lot of people that is a no-go. There also can be significant input shaft clatter with the clutch out and in neutral.  The biggest upside for me is it goes to 6 and Madkaw's only goes to 5. Seriously though for me it was all about the gear spread. 5th is 1;1. Think about it this way. My old knees would rather climb a ladder in 6 steps vs 5. The gear spread just seems to work really well for my style of street driving which is 0-50 as fast as I can. With the 4 speed I felt like I had to kill it in every gear to get any kind of acceleration. Now it is a much smoother proposition.

 

The Aisin TL70 6 speed which I'm currently developing a conversion bell housing for. It can't take the power that the CD00A can but it will fit the tunnel without any modifications. It is very plentiful on the used market since BRZ owners like to wreck their cars a lot as well as brand new from Subaru. The gear ratios are pretty close to the CD00A.  There is no definitive data on how much power it will take but from what I have read and some data from one of Godzillas customers I felt it could handle 375 to the wheels. I may be a little optimistic on that number but so much of the stress on a drivetrain comes from driving style and tire grip. I personally feel this transmission conversion will be a good choice for a lot of normally aspirated cars.  I'll know a lot more when I get the first one in my car to play with. If you opt for a used transmission it is probably going to be one of the cheaper options. I paid like $425.00 delivered to my door for a 2016 with less than 50K on it. 

 

Wow that is cool, I did not realize you are on this forum; you designed the kit at Godzilla!  That new kit you are developing using the TL70 sounds like a great transmission option, when do you think that will be available and where will it be sold?

 

Hopefully this will help people understand my goals. For the two (2) 240's I mentioned at the start of this post, they are street cars mainly with weekend racing in the mountains.  One is more mild with a Datsun Spirt 2.8 stage 2 and the other is a Datsun Spirit 3.0 with my head that DL Potter ported.  Both are sporting coil over suspensions with 245's on all four corners & Arizona Z car Wilwood brake upgrade, one is more mild for my wife and the other has every APEX Engineering option to upgrade the stock suspension. They are fine right now both with Nissan Competition 5 speeds but my question was since it seems like nobody has parts and I am not sure if I can ever get them rebuilt, is why I wanted to know what the options are if one of those failed.  The intent is just reliable Z cars to street race and have fun with.  Neither car is focused for the quarter mile but rather spirited driving on the street.  I like how the Nissan Competition tranny can provide good acceleration thru the gears with the ability to control the car in the mountains leaving it 2nd and third in hard cornering and ability to downshift even to first gear in a 15 MPH corner.  We both like the feel of stick shift and want the Z's to be great general purpose sports cars to punch off the line but mainly drive thru the mountains curves.

 

I have a more extreme 240z that I am building and that will have a RIPS RB34.  I am too far away from finishing that so I have not looked into what other RB owners are using for transmissions.  When I finish that car it will be a street car like our other Z's but intended to race other exotic sports cars on the street in the mountains and freeways; it will be putting down 700-800 HP and that car is the famous Primadonna Z car with massive 345's and 285's or possibily 315's in the front, but that is a couple years away...

Edited by primaz
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calZ said:

Derek owns Datsunworks. The bellhousings are available through Godzilla Raceworks.

 

Thanks.  Never heard of them.  Actually I've heard of Datsunworks.  Lost track of it though.

 

http://datsunworks.com/

 

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/

 

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/drivetrain

Edited by NewZed
Link to post
Share on other sites

So to clarify things a bit. I produce the bell housings and sell them to Godzilla. They sell them individually or as part of a kit. Godzilla can offer a level of support that I can't and I have had nothing but excellent dealings with them on other things. After I catch up with demand I will start selling bell housings off the shelf but that most likely will be the extent. Godzilla is taking pre orders and the last I heard they had 8 openings left. The patterns are at the foundry waiting for an opening but the holidays are screwing up the schedule.

 

Godzilla charges the same as I will be.  

 

I have no real schedule for the TL70. I have to finish the CD009 castings I currently have on order then I can jump on the new one. Probably 4 months minimum before I have a working solution and bell housings to sell.

 

Hope that clears things up.

 

Derek

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...