HybridZ

curious to know what are the best L Series Transmission options now?

primaz

12 minutes ago, tube80z said:

Derek,

Any chance you know the weight of the complete TL70 and/or the CD009?  I'm looking at options for building a street card.

thanks,

cary

Courtesy @VQ_S30 on IG. Please follow/like his content if this was helpful for you. It’s a heavy sucker, but the weight is well positioned relative to both axles. 

this assumes Derek’s bell housing is roughly the same weight as the stock one. Not an unreasonable assumption. 

8289C703-FEC7-4B78-8926-EE492633F6B4.png

On 12/20/2020 at 8:24 PM, madkaw said:

T-5 was used in the 280zx turbo cars and some 300zx cars . G-Force may know of other models , but you need the bell housing from the turbo Z 

Drive shaft 

I have a T5 / G-Force gear box that I've been very happy with.  It's in my L6 turbo road course car that makes a bunch of power.  It make some straight cut gear sounds but has stayed together for some time.  

15 hours ago, Mayolives said:

I have a T5 / G-Force gear box that I've been very happy with.  It's in my L6 turbo road course car that makes a bunch of power.  It make some straight cut gear sounds but has stayed together for some time.  

It’s a beautiful sound isn’t it ?!

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 6:09 PM, Derek said:

So to clarify things a bit. I produce the bell housings and sell them to Godzilla. They sell them individually or as part of a kit. Godzilla can offer a level of support that I can't and I have had nothing but excellent dealings with them on other things. After I catch up with demand I will start selling bell housings off the shelf but that most likely will be the extent. Godzilla is taking pre orders and the last I heard they had 8 openings left. The patterns are at the foundry waiting for an opening but the holidays are screwing up the schedule.

Godzilla charges the same as I will be.  

I have no real schedule for the TL70. I have to finish the CD009 castings I currently have on order then I can jump on the new one. Probably 4 months minimum before I have a working solution and bell housings to sell.

Hope that clears things up.

Derek

Derek -- any updates on the tl70 swap?

• 3 weeks later...

Manuals are so yesterday, get a DCT conversion, it will shift faster than you can and they are not relatively heavy. Particularly compared with a CD009 lump. That's if you want the best performance option, what is the point in handicapping a good engine with a less than optimal transmission?

Edited by 260DET

8 hours ago, 260DET said:

Manuals are so yesterday, get a DCT conversion, it will shift faster than you can and they are not relatively heavy. Particularly compared with a CD009 lump. That's if you want the best performance option, what is the point in handicapping a good engine with a less than optimal transmission?

🤷🏽‍♂️ Meh... good point, but if I break the CD00A, I can always get a spare from a junkyard. Plus the L28et I’m running is already so old school, it makes the tranny feel like an iPhone. 

Are you familiar with a DCT conversion for an L-series motor? 

• 6 months later...

Manuals are definitely "yesterday", and so is skill - with all its trials, tribulations, and triumphs. I'll happily keep living in the past. When it's time to give up on driving, I'll just buy a Tesla and let it's unparalleled performance auto-pilot me into a bridge pylon.  DCTs are for passengers.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, AydinZ71 said:

I just purchased one of Derek’s CD00A bellhousings through Godzilla Raceworks last week. Going onto an L28et. Hoping they have one in stock. Looking forward to it! 

Could you post a video of how it operates in your car so we could hear the "noise at idle" that Godzilla Race Works forewarns anyone whom buys this tranny? Love to hear your thoughts after you have drove it a bit to get use to it, etc..

Wish I could! Still have the race car on Jack-stands. Il probably have the trans adapted sometime in the next 4-6 months. 

I believe the “noise” is well documented though. You can search Google or this forum. I believe it is common with the trans, and not unique to the bellhousing or L-series. My guess is the 350/370z has better insulation so the noise is not as clear in the cab 🤷🏽‍♂️

17 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

Wish I could! Still have the race car on Jack-stands. Il probably have the trans adapted sometime in the next 4-6 months. 

I believe the “noise” is well documented though. You can search Google or this forum. I believe it is common with the trans, and not unique to the bellhousing or L-series. My guess is the 350/370z has better insulation so the noise is not as clear in the cab 🤷🏽‍♂️

This is it exactly. The more lopey the idle the more I notice it. My aluminum flywheel isn't helping either. A steel one would have a more damping effect.  It's subjective and a camera phone is not going to pick up a true recording. The next time I pull the transmission I'm going to put some  DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield in. I think that would help a bunch.   I hated the noise when I did the install but as AydinZ71 said it's a known thing and after a while it's not a big deal. I love having the 6 speed though so it's a worthwhile conversion to me.  Back in the day they called the Muncie M22 "Rock Crusher".  The CD009 sounds like it actually is crushing rocks:).    

And yes the TL70 is still moving along. I'm relying on Godzilla to do the test fit and their moving to a new facility during a pandemic has not helped things. They are close to verifying the tilt angle is correct and the shifter is in the right location. I'm leaving crossmember development up to them since my car no longer has the mounting ears. 

On the subject of DCTs, I bought a 2007 GTI with a DCT with a bunch of go fast parts basically as a daily, grocery getter, and winter autoxer since the Z leaks from everywhere. I've got thousands of hours on sims, so very much used to the flappy paddle shifting, left foot braking, etc. My main concern about DCT was that it would shift for me when I didn't want it to. This was a problem on the Porsche tiptronics that I worked on back in the day. Mine is supposedly tuned, but it does still shift on its own when I autox it and have it in manual mode. Despite this, I love it. I understand that a better (more expensive) tune on the DCT ECU might help, and will try that eventually. But it really doesn't feel that much like an automatic. You hit the paddle it shifts NOW. Downshift at higher rpms and you can hear it rev match. It's pretty damn cool.

Edited by JMortensen
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:29 AM, JMortensen said:

On the subject of DCTs, I bought a 2007 GTI with a DCT with a bunch of go fast parts basically as a daily, grocery getter, and winter autoxer since the Z leaks from everywhere. I've got thousands of hours on sims, so very much used to the flappy paddle shifting, left foot braking, etc. My main concern about DCT was that it would shift for me when I didn't want it to. This was a problem on the Porsche tiptronics that I worked on back in the day. Mine is supposedly tuned, but it does still shift on its own when I autox it and have it in manual mode. Despite this, I love it. I understand that a better (more expensive) tune on the DCT ECU might help, and will try that eventually. But it really doesn't feel that much like an automatic. You hit the paddle it shifts NOW. Downshift at higher rpms and you can hear it rev match. It's pretty damn cool.

There is no full manual setting where it will over rev if you don't shift? Sounds like a cool car.

Supposed to be a manual setting, but IME they never work quite right, and this one is no exception. Hit the rev limiter or hang close to it for a couple seconds and it will upshift just as you dive into the braking zone for the next corner.

I'm pretty shocked at how much I enjoy driving it. FWD hatches never really appealed to me, but I wanted something that is fun and that I could run the kids around and go to the grocery store with. I've put a bunch of money into it already, but so far I am loving it.

• 1 year later...
On 9/25/2021 at 5:10 AM, Derek said:

This is it exactly. The more lopey the idle the more I notice it. My aluminum flywheel isn't helping either. A steel one would have a more damping effect.  It's subjective and a camera phone is not going to pick up a true recording. The next time I pull the transmission I'm going to put some  DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield in. I think that would help a bunch.   I hated the noise when I did the install but as AydinZ71 said it's a known thing and after a while it's not a big deal. I love having the 6 speed though so it's a worthwhile conversion to me.  Back in the day they called the Muncie M22 "Rock Crusher".  The CD009 sounds like it actually is crushing rocks:).    

And yes the TL70 is still moving along. I'm relying on Godzilla to do the test fit and their moving to a new facility during a pandemic has not helped things. They are close to verifying the tilt angle is correct and the shifter is in the right location. I'm leaving crossmember development up to them since my car no longer has the mounting ears. 

I recently had the TL70 installed on my Z by Godzilla.  I'm extremely happy with the product!  Nothing beats giving the L28 6 gears to run through. 

• Like 1