HybridZ

Round Tail Lights

My 240 was rear ended in a past life and the previous owner had it fixed in an interesting way. Instead of the inset taillight panels and stock lights it has sheet metal attached flush to the rest of the panels so the back looks very flat, He also had 4 cheapo round (I think 5" diameter, but I forgot to double check that and I'm at work now, I'll update it when I get home) brake lights with no other functionality. The PO ruined the wiring, and when I was driving it to storage before going to college it started on fire under the dash and I haven't touched it since. So I am planning a new harness using a Eaton Bussman 31S-002-0 and I would like to actually have functional turn signals/running lights/reverse lights, So I am looking for new round tail lights. 

The things most important to me are 

• Using 4 lights (2 per side obviously) have a red brake light, red running light, amber turn signal, and a white reverse light
  • I would really prefer Non-led, but I I doubt that will be possible with my next point
  • Mount as flush/ tight to the current sheet metal as possible. I wanted to see what the stock tail lights looked like on my car and just held them up to the hole the current lights are mounted and it looked VERY silly sticking out so far. so a flush mount is ideal. 
  • I am willing to cut the holes larger, again I will check to see what they are currently. 
  • Would love for the "lens" the lights to sit behind to be either all red or all black/smoke in color. 

Does anybody have experience using aftermarket round tail lights and have suggestions on brands? I don't mind spending some money to make sure I get what I want and not have to worry much about them dying quickly. 

The closest I have found can be found on ebay by searching "Euro Red Amber LED Combo Multi-Function Round Stop Turn Brake Tail Lights", It's the one for $90. The only thing I don't like about these is I don't like the look of the lenses with the multi color thing going on. Has anybody put a film tint on something like this? I thought that could be a work around for the issue

I thought I had a better picture somewhere but I guess not. 

Datsun 2014.jpg

Edited by nicksoccer22
added info

Basically what you have are generic tractor trailer tail lights. They are nice and simple and there are lots of options for them. i would atleast find LED ones so they are bright and look a little more custom. When you do LED's the car might think that the bulb is blown cause there is little resistance with LED lights. if it does that, you may want to get a resistor to put inline so the blinker doesnt blink 100mph. They are only like $7 each and install super easy. 

i use that style light also but i kinda went crazy and made my own tail light buckets and lens to house the tail lights to give it a custom look. i found these cool versions of lights that use an infinity mirror set up to make the lights look like a tunnel when lite up. i also used the resistors and my lights blink normal.20190310_182651.thumb.jpg.351bad894e43533235b41bbbe15d9324.jpg 

I replaced the stock tail lights with round tail lights on one of my 280s years ago; but I unfortunately don't have any pictures (this was way before cell phones and digital cameras). 

I used two amber and two red (like you're thinking of doing) on a custom flat black rear panel.  I used lenses and housings from a C4 Vette.  Looked great; very distinctive.