HybridZ

California Rules Prevent Shipping of Holley 80570 Carburetor

Miles

I buy a lot of parts from Summit Racing. For the first time they will not ship a Holley Street Avenger 80570 carburetor due to California rules. California Air Resources Board won't allow the carburetor  to be shipped. I can get the carb locally, but it costs about $50 dollars more.

Edited by Miles

I live in the same area as you, and I have encountered that issue several times with Summit and other companies with products that cannot be shipped to California.  I have made several trips to Summit, and I had to also make several trips to paint suppliers in Nevada to get the products needed to paint my car.  Ironically though, if you do a bit of searching, there are a lot of companies in the other 49 states who do not give a crap about California law.  They will ship products here even without the state's blessing. 

California governing is only going to get worse in this regard..  They don't like any cars that are not electric, and they despise gas burning collector/enthusiast cars almost as much as they hate people who own them.

Edited by Ironhead
  • Like 1

I have encountered this as well a few times most notably when I attempted to purchase some JBA headers for my Mustang.  The JBA is based in SoCal and sells in CA.  Summit would not sell to me and the headers are even CARB compliant!  I think it boils down to the fact that it's not worth Summit to jump through the legal hassle hoops to sell in the CA market.  They are big enough to be on CA Gov radar so they choose to just give up on the market for certain items. 

On 12/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, Miles said:

I'll go to Tognotti's in Sacramento and pay about $50 more than Summit.

Tognotti's is a surprising place.  They have remained successful in a largely mail-order world by actually having a significant amount of inventory in stock.  I realize they have a small online business as well, but I am confident that the vast majority of their sales are walk-ins.

The place is a time warp for me.  I used to go in there in the 1970s when I was a kid (hell, I even remember when the building was a supermarket), and it has not changed at all.  It still even smells the same.  Most things would change in 50 years, but not Tognotti's.

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 6:50 AM, Ironhead said:

Tognotti's is a surprising place.  They have remained successful in a largely mail-order world by actually having a significant amount of inventory in stock.  I realize they have a small online business as well, but I am confident that the vast majority of their sales are walk-ins.

The place is a time warp for me.  I used to go in there in the 1970s when I was a kid (hell, I even remember when the building was a supermarket), and it has not changed at all.  It still even smells the same.  Most things would change in 50 years, but not Tognotti's.

That's one of the good things about the US, if it works there is no need to change. Elsewhere there is too much trendy keeping up with the latest, good or bad, appropriate or not.