HybridZ

Removing door with engine installed..Ok to do?

brianZortiz

Hi All,

I drove my 432 inspired z for a few months, and now want to restore the car. Is it ok to remove the doors with the engine and transmission still inside the car? It’s an rb26 so a bit heavier than L series. I’ve heard someone mention body sag a long time back, but not sure. I want to send out doors and panels to my body guy while I have the car sand blasted 

53 minutes ago, NewZed said:

If it was a problem the sag would happen with the doors open.  If the point where the door mounts is deforming due to weight then the door hinges would bind.  Can't imagine a problem with removing them.

I second this. The doors add some rigidity Between the hinge and latch when closed, but nowhere near enough to cause the surrounding metal to yield or experience plastic deformation if the door is removed. 

I "third" it.  If the shell sagged significantly with the doors removed, you'd have much bigger problems to consider. 

If you're worried about it, just make sure you use multiple jackstands and supports at multiple points under the car whilst doing the work.

Coming from another angle, the S30 body is marginal strength wise by current standards, with a significantly more powerful engine a better car will result from body strengthening. There are kits available for that purpose, using them results in a much more satisfying car to drive.