HybridZ

Tell me if I'm crazy.

Willflow

So in researching my l28et swap since I have a 81 I've been looking at distributors and oil drive shafts. I see that D21 trucks use a similar distributor. They are longer however but also use a turbo style spline shaft. Because they are longer the timing covers are a little different, where the shaft comes through at the top the hole is larger so the end of the distributor can slide down deeper to couple with the shorter drive shaft. I think the l28 shafts are 9" and the z22/z24 are 6.75". Here's the rub, the z22 timing cover is taller because the engine block is taller. If you compare the two it appears as though you could maybe cut down the taller cover to fit a l28 and then be able to use the z22/z24 parts. The z22 distributors use an optical cas like the 82-83 turbo does. One could also get a drive shaft and weld up a longer one to be used with a turbo dizzy or maybe with a spacer and a z22 dizzy. I don't have any of these parts in front of me, I'm just going off pics. I also don't know about the cap and rotor fitment, will the turbo parts fit the z22 dizzy? Anyway my mind never stops turning, its hard to go to sleep most nights especially when I have a project that intrigues me. I am planning on a trip to the jy but they only have an 85 and I'm not sure it has the dizzy I need to look at. If this works it will solve the supply issue for turbo conversion and standalone guys. Give some thoughts gentlemen.

Edited by Willflow
Spelling

@cgsheen, I think, has written about other ways to get an alternative optical disc in the distributor.  I think maybe a Pathfinder CAS/distributor was used.

There are also threads out there about the Jeep CAS/distributor.  A lot depends on what engine management you're planning to use.  Nissan or MS or other.

Yes you would lose the two bolts but some right stuff will seal that no problem. Yes a crank trigger would work, I'm just looking at cheaper available parts. If it works then it provides a path for 81 turbo owners who can't find 82-83 parts. You would have to be able to make a nice clean cut for sure. The overarching question is will it work.

21 hours ago, Willflow said:

I see that D21 trucks use a similar distributor. They are longer however but also use a turbo style spline shaft. Because they are longer the timing covers are a little different, where the shaft comes through at the top the hole is larger so the end of the distributor can slide down deeper to couple with the shorter drive shaft.

I think the l28 shafts are 9" and the z22/z24 are 6.75". Here's the rub, the z22 timing cover is taller because the engine block is taller.

If you compare the two it appears as though you could maybe cut down the taller cover to fit a l28 and then be able to use the z22/z24 parts

. Give some thoughts gentlemen.

That's a lot of machine work and parts sourcing just to get a couple of bolt holes to line up.  And why do all of that work, then use "right stuff" to goop up any holes?

If the Z22 distributor body is what you really need, with a splined drive end on the shaft the simple thing to do might be to swap the L28 shaft in to the Z22 unit, or modify the Z22 shaft.  Cut it and lengthen it.  But the splined end looks detachable anyway, so really it's just lengthening the shaft and reattaching the splined drive piece.  Make an adapter to mount the body to the L28 cover.

Don't forget that you'll need a trigger wheel on the top and a 6 plug cap if you decide to use it as a distributor also.

In the end this is the same as the Jeep CAS or the Pathfinder CAS modification though.  The overarching question is which is more rational and cost-effective - sourcing, buying, modifying, and installing a whole front cover (don't forget the crank snout seal and the water pump and its ports and the seal to the oil pan), or sourcing, buying, modifying, and installing a more readily available distributor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1994,d21+pickup,2.4l+l4,1212084,ignition,distributor,7108

Edited by NewZed

Yes I made note of those things. If your good you could cut the cover at home with simple tools, no machine work. The right stuff would just be along the top edge of the cover, wouldn't be much. The point is to use it as a distributor that has the cas in it as a replacement for a 82-83 unit that are very hard to find. I know we can get crank triggers and other cas units. Again if this works it does become an option that is less expensive. As far as the cover another option is to just drill out the l28 unit.

2 hours ago, Willflow said:

If your good you could cut the cover at home with simple tools, no machine work. 

Go for it.  Take some pictures, it will be good entertainment.  Are we talking Sawzall, hacksaw, file, grinder?  Make a video.

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1N6SD11S6PC357322

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1N6SD16S4RC354902

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1N6SD16S0MC421925

• Like 1