HybridZ

Grease for rebuilding S130 Turbo/2+2 CV Halfshafts

eec564

I'm in the process of rebuilding / replacing the boots on my CV half shafts and am hoping someone knows if the grease included with the replacement kits is sufficient.  I'm using the Beck/Arnley 103-2282 (outer) and 103-2280 (inner) kits, which came with 3.9 oz packets of grease.  The FSM says to use 6.17 oz and 6.7 oz for the outer and inner joints.  Has anyone used these rebuild kits and can confirm they are supplied with enough grease?  Or should I buy some additional and pack to the weight in the FSM?

Also, the original greases were quite different.  The inner was very thin, about the same as manual transmission gear oil, while the outer was about the same as wheel bearing grease.  I'm inclined to say the shafts had never been rebuilt, as the axles didn't show any signs of having been re-peened.  If I have to do this again, I think I'll take them down to a machine shop and see about having grooves machined in for snap rings.

-Eric

Edited by eec564

For lubrication queries like your I always go to a original suppliers website to see what they recommend. They usually describe the type of lubricant that they recommend, the last time I checked a special moly grease was recommended for CV joints.

Yup, the datasheet for the grease says it's moly.  https://drivcat.com/livedocs/SDS BeckArnley CV Joint Grease.pdf  The big question is if the kits came with enough grease, weighing in at 3.9 oz vs the over 6 oz specified in the FSM.  I wouldn't want to over-pack the joint and have the boot bellow at speed, or starve them and destroy the joint.

The wheel-bearing-like grease inside the outer boot makes me wonder if it wasn't rebuilt previously, with the replacement boot having been stretched over the joint, rather than removing the spider as per the FSM.

• 1 month later...

Well, I went for it.  A few things to note:

The box for the outer boots had a note in it that said "The included grease is sufficient for the joint." which the inner didn't have.  The driver's side outer boot had BOTH very thick wheel bearing like grease and thin gear oil like grease in it, while the inner only had the thinner.  The grease included with the replacement boots is somewhere in between.

Otherwise, the rebuild seemed to go well, it's hard to judge as I haven't put many miles on it since I'm not driving much of anywhere.