HybridZ

Meet the new spindle pin, same as the old spindle pin

JMortensen

Thanks for the kick ass design, Nissan!;)

I'm trying to use my BIL's spindle pin puller, and I actually broke the pin itself in the end of the tool.

Last one I had was a standard lug nut welded to a metric lug nut IIRC. This one is my BIL's and looks like it has a sleeve with an insert, and then a timesert in that. Hoping I can disassemble and get the piece out.

Tried to drill it and was going to tap and then put a bolt in and weld and pull it out that way, got about 1" into the pin and the drill bit broke. Tried welding a nut onto the end, just twists off.

20210111_180427.jpg

20210111_172725.jpg

20210111_172722.jpg

20210111_172711.jpg

The spindle pins are such a pain in the ass. Something I found really helped was getting a medium-sized tub, and then filling it with about a gallon of 50/50 ATF and acetone. It's like penetrating oil on steroids. Set the side of the strut/control arm assembly with the spindle pin into the tub and let it soak for 2 or 3 days. I stopped breaking threaded rod after that. 

• Thanks 1

I'd have to go digging for the picture, but I just opted to have a shop pull them for me. Was worth every penny for my peace of mind, but when I picked up my stuff one end of the threads on both of them was crushed down about a 1/8-1/4" if that gives you any idea how much force was required to press them out. 

Edited by Zetsaz

2 hours ago, calZ said:

The spindle pins are such a pain in the ass. Something I found really helped was getting a medium-sized tub, and then filling it with about a gallon of 50/50 ATF and acetone. It's like penetrating oil on steroids. Set the side of the strut/control arm assembly with the spindle pin into the tub and let it soak for 2 or 3 days. I stopped breaking threaded rod after that. 

you can also try soaking it for several days in Phosphoric acid. It literally dissolves corrosion and is quite aggressive. Rust mort is a common brand.

I too sheared my spindle threads. In the end, I had to use heat, pull with a welded-on nut, and hammer the other side. Every few hammers, I could feel the tension on the opposite side loosening up, so I knew it was moving microns. Did this for an hour, and finally got it out. 

Just an FYI, putting it back is also a PITA. I had spin the new spindle in some fine grit sand paper to get it in. I used a bore cleaner on the strut assembly, but after many minutes it still had not removed enough material for a “snug” fit. 

I opted for synthetic grease to reassemble. I figured the grease was least likely to disappear over time and keep the two metal surfaces from corroding again. Of course, they will... I guess il remove the spindle every few years and give them another greasing. 

E1C85E08-0770-4E6C-BA00-77DA3B4939AC.jpeg

0EE85AC5-9C00-4340-A291-A64A1CA62681.jpeg

C3121119-F8D9-4230-A1DB-D774262B4B1B.jpeg

177AAC8E-E59B-42B3-BFE2-FAF92354B3A7.jpeg

Edited by AydinZ71

I'm not worried about getting the pins out. What I really want to do is save my brother in law's tool.

I made my own puller with parts I bought from a guy on classiczcars.com 20+ years ago, but IIRC it had standard allthread, a standard lug nut, and a metric lug nut welded to it. I gave it to the BIL, he broke it and replaced with this. This one is much nicer, so I'd like to save it.

1 hour ago, JMortensen said:

I'm not worried about getting the pins out. What I really want to do is save my brother in law's tool.

I made my own puller with parts I bought from a guy on classiczcars.com 20+ years ago, but IIRC it had standard allthread, a standard lug nut, and a metric lug nut welded to it. I gave it to the BIL, he broke it and replaced with this. This one is much nicer, so I'd like to save it.

Ah! Gotcha. I made my own with parts from a hardware store, but in general it was the same description as the tool you are taking about. I believe the metric nut that screws onto the spindle end was M12X1.25. I stripped the spindle threads trying to pull it, so I had to weld the all thread directly to the spindle. Bought a new spindle from zcardepot. 

let me know if you need a full description. Mine did work flawlessly for one of the two sides before the spindle threads were stripped. 

Edited by AydinZ71

One thing that I note with older US used parts is the amount of rust, is that part of your ecological programme? Rust is recycled iron so that's good, it's seizure effect is there to persuade you to throw the part away and buy new which is good for your economy. Or China's?