HybridZ

Anyone running an R180 for racing application?

AydinZ71

I could light up the inside rear on the Miata on the street at times, and did it often at autoxes. Never tracked that car. The tighter the turn the bigger the problem, but the Miata engine was stock, so not a torque monster by any stretch. Car was great, except for the incredible lack of go. Had my doors blown off by a Kia minivan on freeway onramp. Pathetic...

On 1/30/2021 at 12:38 AM, AydinZ71 said:

I settled on a 10:1 static CR on the head for now. If I run a 1.75-2mm gasket, I drop down to 9.4, which will allow me to run ITS (thanks to your suggestion). With a prepared block in eventual development, I'm considering domed pistons to achieve the 12:1 needed to compete in EP.

Nope.  Unless they've changed the rules since I left, you are not only limited to a 0.5 compression ratio increase, but you are also limited to 0.025 machined off the head to achieve that.  If you exceed that the head gasket thickness won't matter.  You also have to run stock type pistons.  There are many things engine, suspension, cage et al that you can do in EP but cannot in ITS.  If you're anywhere near competitive in EP you'll be illegal in ITS.  Build one of the other, IMHO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, katman said:

Nope.  Unless they've changed the rules since I left, you are not only limited to a 0.5 compression ratio increase, but you are also limited to 0.025 machined off the head to achieve that.  If you exceed that the head gasket thickness won't matter.  You also have to run stock type pistons.  There are many things engine, suspension, cage et al that you can do in EP but cannot in ITS.  If you're anywhere near competitive in EP you'll be illegal in ITS.  Build one of the other, IMHO.

You are absolutely correct. Since I posted this, I went back and checked the rule book. No way this will compete in ITS. It has been lightened extensively. No way I can add-back 200lbs to meet the min weight, amongst other things.

This car will continue as spec EP, but will qualify for some other vintage specs (beyond SCCA). If I race it myself, It will likely be vintage club and maybe SCCA vintage racing, as I don’t have the time to train or funds to compete in EP (at least for the time being). I had a great conversation with @gnosez and he was super helpful! Going to take her to willow springs when she is up and running. 

• Like 1