HybridZ

280z Suspension KYBS and Eibachs

(hopefully posting in right spot now). Yes I searched, and most posts are ten plus years old and many products are no longer available. So I have two questions. 

First quick background - I have a nearly completely stock L28 in my 75. She is a fun summer car, I do autocross her (not worried about being competitive) and like to hit an open track day a few times a year. She is currently on completely stock suspension (minus an MSA front sway bar I put in two years ago). I have owned her for just about ten years and have done no suspension work to her in that time... so she is due. 

I am looking at the Eibach Progressive Pro Kit spring kit (link: https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic20b04/23-4042) and wondering on struts. 

I only really see two options out there that don't require a ton of fab. The Koni Adjustable from MSA or you can find great deals on the KYB non adjustable shocks (https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-4-SHOCKS-fits-NISSAN-DATSUN-260Z-280Z-74-75-76-77-78-361002-361003-280Z/353183501677?epid=1529958043&hash=item523b608d6d:g:LlcAAOSwv8ZfR-a3). 

Some suggest (include MSA description) is to not do the KYBs on performance springs. But to do the adjustable Konis instead (which are about $600 for the set versus $180 for the KYBs linked above). So not trying to be cheap, but that $400 difference can go toward the urethane kit (looking at this: https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic20h01/23-4100AZ) and other little things as part of the install. It already has new sway bar end links from when I did the sway bar.

Thoughts? Should I suck it up and do the Konis? IF the KYBs just wear out fast, I can do three sets of those before I spend what I did on the Konis. What else should I do while I have it all apart? Not sure I have the tools needed to attempt the spindle pin replacement but that another area I think I rather spend money than Konis. 

Thanks for any feedback. Thanks. Over the winter I am finishing my valve seal replacement and adjusted lash, just finished tuning my AFM, and next up is finally removing all the AC parts before I move to suspension next month. So doing my research here before I order parts and get it all apart. 

Hey northerner ,

I went from KYB’s to Koni’s . I went with Koni’s with my ST springs hoping I could soften the ride for around town and be able to adjust up for auto cross . The Koni’s seem to be as stiff as the KYBS - at their lowest setting. Now - that being said - it could be my ST springs . Also, your car is probably heavier and with progressive springs you might be able to have a greater adjustability in ride . 

3 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Hey northerner ,

I went from KYB’s to Koni’s . I went with Koni’s with my ST springs hoping I could soften the ride for around town and be able to adjust up for auto cross . The Koni’s seem to be as stiff as the KYBS - at their lowest setting. Now - that being said - it could be my ST springs . Also, your car is probably heavier and with progressive springs you might be able to have a greater adjustability in ride . 

Hey man, I am back with my Z finally... got her back out and running for 2020, now trying to have more fun in 2021. Anyhow, can you still get the ST springs? None of the sites I have checked carry them, only non OEM ones I have found are the Eibachs. Not sure I am a lot heavier, plus I am planning to pull all the AC stuff before this summer so hopefully drop a few more pounds. 

I am so glad you posted this. I have the same question. When I look through threads most of the stuff isn’t available just like you said. I was also looking at the kyb. I am finishing up my ls swap and am looking for some wide tires and better suspension. 

Sorry I can’t help with the answer but I’ll tag along for some info.