HybridZ

Racing wheels - complete novice

Hi guys!

The racecar I am restoring came with Diamond racing wheels. They are 15"X7", which complies with SCCA production class. Just weighted them and they are 16lbs each.

Anyone else have any experience with the manufacturer or the wheels themselves? Would these be considered light weight, or could i do significantly better? I don't even know the difference between a racing wheel and a road wheel, so I will do a little research so I don't waste your time on that. 

Thank you! 

F38642FA-0FF3-433D-9A28-D596E5CF3EE5.jpeg

Edited by AydinZ71

18 minutes ago, JMortensen said:

You can do better, but 17 lbs isn't that bad. Probably get a 15 x 7 race wheel down to 12 or 13 lbs. Wouldn't be first on my list of things to change on a restoration. 

Thanks for the reply! The wheels are actually 16lbs, but it sounds like there is room for improvement. I didn’t want to put on tires if I was starting with a flop. Il go ahead and use them for now. Thank you! 

4 hours ago, JMortensen said:

No problem! If you're new to it, EP cars use cantilevered slicks, so don't get regular ones. Might hit up Greg Ira, he's a member here (gira) and also on FB. Helpful guy, think he's 3 time national champ now.

hey thanks!! Il reach out to Greg. Would love to get perspective from someone successful in EP. Il hold off on getting tires until I do a little more research. 

2 hours ago, jhm said:

Yep, DRW are high quality; and 16 lbs is pretty good for a steel wheel.  My 15x8 Rotas are only a pound or two less than that.  Steel is also very strong and repairable.  

For tires, I've always used this guy for used racing tires and never been disappointed:  https://www.ebay.com/str/racetiresusdrrt

thanks for the tip! I think il get a cheap pair to get used to how slicks handle. She should be back on her feet in a month or two. 

looks like he only has a pair for sale at 225/50R15. Il save his store so I can check back periodically. 

Edited by AydinZ71

I hope this isn't too much of a tangent, but I just wanted to say that those steel wheels are often underrated.  I have used them in several applications over the years, and they are only very slightly heavier than good alloy wheels, inexpensive, and completely bulletproof.

They aren't sexy, but are very useful.

6 hours ago, Ironhead said:

I hope this isn't too much of a tangent, but I just wanted to say that those steel wheels are often underrated.  I have used them in several applications over the years, and they are only very slightly heavier than good alloy wheels, inexpensive, and completely bulletproof.

They aren't sexy, but are very useful.

I have only cared less about aesthetics with age, haha! I'm glad to hear they will fit the purpose, and appreciate your input!